Looking for DT, ours just died.

JaymeR

Hello, my son just lost his DT that was born the same year as him and we have had it since he was a year.... almost 12. We have an older one that’s maybe early 30s and would love to find a new companion for her. I am in CA but ours were originally from Nevada I think.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Tortoises do not need companions, and cannot make friends. It is very stressful for them to be in pairs.
I wouldn’t get another one.

JaymeR

Tortoises do not need companions, and cannot make friends. It is very stressful for them to be in pairs.
I wouldn’t get another one.
Oh really? I did not know that, the big one we have came from someone who had a few and then we had the one we lost with our big one since he was probably 6... so the last 6 years.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Oh really? I did not know that, the big one we have came from someone who had a few and then we had the one we lost with our big one since he was probably 6... so the last 6 years.

Sadly, tortoises do not get attached, and being together for 6 years most likely just brought more stress. Tortoises don’t have emotions like we do, and can’t get sad, lonely, or angry. They can however, feel content and un satisfied.
I’m sorry for your loss :(

Last edited:

JaymeR

Sadly, tortoises do not get attached, and being together for 6 years most likely just brought more stress. Tortoises don’t have emotions like we do, and can’t get sad, lonely, or angry. They can however, feel content and un satisfied.
I’m sorry for your loss :(
Thank you so much!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You would be better off sticking with just the one you have. Pairs can work but with a big amount of land to roam and lots of sight barriers and different feeding and water stations and a few good hiding spots. However, there still is always the chance it won't work and they would need to be separated. Like already stated, they don't want or need a friend. They are loners and only seek out another to mate and then they move on.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
TechnoCheese is right. Tortoises should not be kept in pairs and DTs are one of the scrappiest of them all. It is possible and likely that the stress of living as a pair contributed to the death of the littler one.

If you want another one, just house them separately with no contact or interaction.

JaymeR

TechnoCheese is right. Tortoises should not be kept in pairs and DTs are one of the scrappiest of them all. It is possible and likely that the stress of living as a pair contributed to the death of the littler one.

If you want another one, just house them separately with no contact or interaction.
Yes after mentioned above I started thinking, our big one did have issues every once in awhile withbthe smaller one. I think it will be best to keep the oldest and First one. Just sad you know! Thank you all for the reply’s!

JaymeR

You would be better off sticking with just the one you have. Pairs can work but with a big amount of land to roam and lots of sight barriers and different feeding and water stations and a few good hiding spots. However, there still is always the chance it won't work and they would need to be separated. Like already stated, they don't want or need a friend. They are loners and only seek out another to mate and then they move on.
Yes I think I’m going to leave it alone! Thank you for your reply!