Looking for foster homes in southern states

northernturtleman

Location (City and/or State)
allegan MI
As a founding member of the northern sulcata club we are facing problems with over croweded resuce facilities. i have been in contact with several rescue sites across the US and it seems to be a common issue. My question is, is there someone out there in the southwestern parts of the US that would be willing to donate there land to accomidate these rescue sulcatas. i would be willing to transport them to your land and with a little help from others we can create building accomidations to facilitate these guys. Any thoughts?

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
RE: Land donation

I currently rent the house I live in, but fully intend on purchasing it this year. I have about 2 acres which includes a very large barn. I would have to ask my landlord if she would permit me to foster/house them.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Some general questions pop into my mind if you would please answer them I would appreciate that.

1) First I have never heard of the Northern Sulcata Club. Where are you and what is your group's goals, how many members and around for how long?

2) Your only wanting this place setup in a southwestern location, does that mean only folks from those areas can adopt from your club and/or from once this rescue would be setup?

3) What are your plans for these animals once they would be in the rescue. Are they adoptable or kept forever? Would you be selling them (either outright calling it that or calling it an adoption fee)? Home inspections? Out of state adoptions/selling? Males and females keep apart? Eggs would be destroyed or what?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Land donation

Jacqui great questions ! Keep checking on these people , in this day and age you have too . And they should understand why we do . Keep up the good work Jacqui

northernturtleman

allegan MI

I am very thankful for your questions. First let me reiterate my parts of my initial post I am trying to assist rescue facilities in the northern parts of the US. I have spoke with many of them and they are flooded with sulcatas. My club is new and has few members, however I am gaining sponsors as well as volunteers. The focus of my club is to help these rescues sites through donations and finding alternative places to foster them until they can be adopted. Please understand I am not wanting any money, donations will be made directly to the rescue facilities I have listed on my site. As for the land I was hoping to find someone that would help find temporary foster care until they can be placed in forever homes. I don't want any set amount of money for them, a simple donation of your choosing would suffice and that's only to help keep the lights on and feed these guys. As for breeding I am completely against it and segregation would be necessary to prevent it, again I want to promote rescues. I am working on a rescue site here were I live and hopefully I can generate enough interest that we can help the rescue facilities that are already in place. I hope this clears up any questions you may have, no I am not an expert, I am just a guy that has a passion to help sulcatas that are in need.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Are there that many rescues in Michigan that are flooded with unwanted sulcatas?

northernturtleman

allegan MI

Not just Michigan I spoke with the nice folks of suburban jungle rescue and he had 8 adult sulcatas in his facility and over the past five years he seen over 80 sulcatas come through his door. The folks of the long island rescue told me they are requiring a fee to take in sulcatas because they are So hard to get adopted and they just can't take any more in. I know 8 sulcatas might not be a big number in comparison to the rescue facilities out west but it's cold here and these sulcatas stay in side 6 to 8 months out of the year.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

The S. jungle rescue is Jeff, correct?

From what I see in here, I notice that free sulcatas do not last long on the market, nor do the resaonably priced ones. Right now today, I believe we have atleast two people I know of wishing to adopt a sulcata from a rescue. I do see that rescues who require the sulcata to only go to the southern states, seem to get back logged. I also think perhaps being more outgoing with getting information out to folks that these animals are needing homes would be a much more cost effective method at this time... just some of my thoughts.

Please don't take me wrong, I am not trying to slam what your doing. It's just that with all types of rescues there are bad and good, those who tend to move animals and those who tend to hold on to them, those who may it hard to adopt and those that make it painless and even fun. What your wanting to do is great, but perhaps in the meantime there are other ideas to consider and also to work on.

For what it is worth, I just went onto the Suburban Jungle's website and it is showing no sulcatas available at this time. (2 pending and one adopted)

northernturtleman

allegan MI

I am adopting one of the sulcatas. The point made about getting information out is perfect I am on the same page completely. As forgiving these sulcatas away I have mixed emotions about that. For instance someone will rescue the sulcata and have no idea what they are committing to and the tort is in more danger that before. Second, this should be a SMALL fee so that serious adopters only receive sulcatas. Also this helps fund the rescues. I personally don't think a fee should be implemented just a request to donate a amount that they the adopter thinks is far. Education is very important to my focus and part of my goal is to provide as much information to people thinking about getting a sully. And most importantly show how much fun it can be.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

What many of us do in here, is when there is for instance a Craig's list ad we repost them in here. We also let the folks getting rid of the sulcata know, hey pass our link on to the person who does get your animal(s), so they might end up getting better care for them. Through this forum, a lot of tortoises seem to quickly find new homes.

I don't think the animal should go to a new home without some talking between the parties to get an idea what each knows. That's also just a part of finding out the history too of any new animal you may get. What I don't myself like are the aplications that take me hours to fill out. Or ask me about ALL the tortoises (or animals) I have ever haad. At this point in my life, that is asking for the impossible to happen. :D :D

Here for instance, I have openings in my buried hot tub turtle enclosure for more female RES (red eared sliders), but I won't buy any animals. If some actually really need homes, I think the seller/rescue should bend at times and go for a home rather then a return on money spent. On the other hand, I really want to have more experience working with the very heavily pyramided tortoises and those I am willing to pay token fees for.
I guess I like having bendable rules that make getting the animal into a good home the single most important thing. I also learned long ago that paying money for something does not make it end up in a better home, just in a home with somebody who at one time had the money to spend on the animal.

I agree that with a sulcata, more then any other tortoise, education is important just for the fact alone that folks need to realize what these friendly, often dog like tortoises, can become a living nightmare when they get big and decide to go through walls and fences. They need room and lots of it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Good for you and I hope it all goes well.
Yes, Yvonne, unfortunately there are too many Sullies in Michigan looking for homes. Most that I have see over the last few years were older, so I'm guessing they got all the wrong information or no information when they received them. Most likely didn't know the size they were going too be or how fat they were going to get to that size.
There is a member of our forum, she no longer participates, but she may still read threads. She lives in Cadillac Michigan and runs her own personal rescue. She may be able to be of some help too you, I don't know. I will try to get in touch with her and maybe the two of you can work together. Just a thought. Her name is Kristina. Good luck. Wish I could help you, but I am no longer in Michigan.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan

I haven't been here in a while, and I don't have much time at the moment, but I have to speak up.

I am the founder and director of Northern Michigan Reptile and Amphibian Rescue. I am also personal friends with Jeff Peck, founder and director of Suburban Jungle Rescue of Southgate, MI. I work closely with several other Michigan reptile organizations and rescues. NONE of us is "flooded" nor ever has been, with Sulcatas. (RES are a different story!)

I am 99.9% sure that Jeff does not have 8 Sulcatas at this time. Perhaps two. And 80? No. 20-30? I would say that is accurate. All found homes. Jeff nor myself has ever had an issue finding homes, and without asking for "donated land."

What flooded rescues in Michigan? I haven't been flooded with Sulcata. I don't know anyone who HAS been. So where is this all coming from?

I am sorry, but I am very skeptical about this.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Thank you Kristina for your quick reply. Also for the great info. It's nice too see there isn't an over abundance of homes less Sulcata's in Michigan. I know some of the rescues here, in Illinois have quite a few needing homes, but the numbers I do believe is in the single digits here for each rescue. Still too many, but not a big over abundance.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.

It seems like I remember Tom was starting up a rescue in the Southwest US.... Something like www.SulcataRescue.com? Maybe everyone should PM him and see what the status is on that....

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Land donation

I think the title is confusing what the poster is trying to accomplish . Unless I read it wrong he is looking to for someone in the southwest with land who would be willing to foster the Sulcatas in the north if there is a need. I could be wrong but it didn't sound like he wants actual land but someone to foster who has lots of land.

northernturtleman

allegan MI

This is more to the point; the land is NOT a necessity. If someone wanted to donate or share their land that they own to help foster sulcatas then great i am all about that. When i stated that i wanted southwestern land it was only because that is the ideal location, however if someone in Canada wanted to help out and use there indoor faculties for the good of the cause then i support that. If it is true and i have been misinformed by all the information I have gathered from rescue facilities that i have spoken with then that’s even better! That means that the sulcatas are finding homes. My goals here are to insure every sulcata, no matter how few the numbers are, find good homes. I am sharing my passion for these guys and using this drive to improve the quality of life for these rescue sulcatas waiting for a home. I hope that any rescue sites are not charging outrageous prices or requesting a spelling test in order to be approved to adopt as long as they are aware of the responsibilities involved. This is my over goal to accomplish. i share your enthusiasm for rescuing sulcatas. Why are you here on this forum, why do you have tortoises at home? Because we all share the same love and enthusiasm for these tortoises i am trying to take my enthusiasm to the next level and assist rescue sites through donations and aiding with placement. I have a job already I don’t need any money from this, any money given to me will go directly to any rescue facility of their choice , they can even bypass me and donate directly to the rescue site themselves. If I can bring awareness of the rescue sites around the area I have no problem with that what so ever. This is a good cause I don’t want your land or your money I want homes for the sulcatas.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Here's how I feel on this subject:

Each rescue has enough to handle in their own geographical area and each individual rescue should take care of their own problems.

I appreciate that you want to try to help other rescue operations, but I think once the word gets out that YOU are a new and fledgling club caring for sulcata tortoises, you are going to have enough problems of your own without trying to help the rescues in other northern cities. Just let each of them take care of their own problems, unless they personally ask for your assistance.

northernturtleman

allegan MI
Thank you for appreciating my ambitions, I am willing to help others until i can no longer do so. At this point it is still feasible to help other rescue facilities. Also i would like to gather ideas for the current sulcata owners that live in the northern states. Ideas about how to keep their enthusiasm alive through the hard cold months as well as indoor habitat ideas, thoughts on alternative foods since grasses are not always available, and dealing with the challenges of long periods of cold and having a 100lbs tortoise indoors for 6 to 8 months of the year. These are the battles that apply to northern sulcata owners that others may not have to deal with. It’s a choice i know, but just because we live in the northern states doesn’t mean that we can’t have a sulcata, we just have to be more creative insuring there needs are properly met. This is the reason i am working on this topic. I would like to help out the rescue facilities and find homes for the sulcatas. There are lots of rescue facilities that have more than a few sulcatas that are waiting for homes, also i would like to help current sulcata owners make there sulcata owner experience a little less stressful. This is an opportunity to make a difference, there are pet stores selling sulcatas in the northern states i just want to help make them enjoyable when they are bigger and not dumped at a rescue facility.