Looking for Golden Greek Turtoise

Yona

Location (City and/or State)
Abu Dhabi
Hi guys,:<3::tort:

I am new to this forum. ??

So I have been looking for Golden Greeks for weeks but I just can't seem to find any available. I live in the UAE so Golden Greeks aren't available locally. Therefore, I have to get them from an online store. So I wanted to ask which online store would you guys recommend? Also, when exactly are they available? ?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I can't answer your questions, but welcome to the forum!

It's almost 3:00 AM in California, so lots of folks are asleep.

Hopefully someone will have an answer for you.

Yona

Abu Dhabi
I can't answer your questions, but welcome to the forum!

It's almost 3:00 AM in California, so lots of folks are asleep.

Hopefully someone will have an answer for you.
Hi, I would like to know is there a forum specifically made for Golden Greeks? Like specific instructions on how to properly care for them?

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
There are strict import and export laws with tortoises and other animals. If there is no breeder/store/reseller already in your country, it will be very difficult and expensive to import one for yourself.

Here are some things for you to read. First is general info, second is care.

Yona

Abu Dhabi
There are strict import and export laws with tortoises and other animals. If there is no breeder/store/reseller already in your country, it will be very difficult and expensive to import one for yourself.

Here are some things for you to read. First is general info, second is care.

Thank you for the info! I have done general research on the species I am interested in but I also wanted to deepen my learning about them.

Yona

Abu Dhabi
Thread 'The Best Way To Raise Any Temperate Species Of Tortoise' https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...ise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

Pet shops dont sell tortoises in UAE?
They do sell some species but not the species that I want (Golden Greek). Added to that, everything in my country is too overpriced! Some stores sell Sulcatas for $1,300 or even more which is why I want to get them from an online store. Added to that, most of the pet stores that I visit locally don't take proper care of their animals. They just want to sell them and they aren't well informed about them.

Tolis

Tortoise Club
Cyprus EU
They do sell some species but not the species that I want (Golden Greek). Added to that, everything in my country is too overpriced! Some stores sell Sulcatas for $1,300 or even more which is why I want to get them from an online store. Added to that, most of the pet stores that I visit locally don't take proper care of their animals. They just want to sell them and they aren't well informed about them.
Keep in mind that if you get end up getting a sulcata or leopard they different needs from temperature species.
Tortoises are going extinct so to legally import one from abroad is a frustrating time consuming and costly process (been there)
I suggest settle for the healthiest looking young tortoise you can find from a local seller.

Yona

Abu Dhabi
Keep in mind that if you get end up getting a sulcata or leopard they different needs from temperature species.
Tortoises are going extinct so to legally import one from abroad is a frustrating time consuming and costly process (been there)
I suggest settle for the healthiest looking young tortoise you can find from a local seller.
Yeah, this is why I wanted a Golden Greek. Since it's smaller in size and I have studied mostly about them. Anyways, thank you for your help!

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Buying a tortoise won't be like buying something online from anywhere in the world and having it shipped to you. You are unlikely to find a legitimate seller willing to ship one to you if it's coming from out of country. That said, I would imagine that you could find a Testudo graeca terrestris in UAE with a little work. We have had people show up on the forum with baby T.g. terrestris from your neighbors, Oman and Qatar.

The term "golden greek" is more of a marketing term than an actual species. Testudo graeca terrestris is a highly varied subspecies with lots of color variation from light to dark. It's also impossible to say what exact coloration an adult will have when starting from a baby. There is a long explanation of this on HermanniHaven.com

Yona

Abu Dhabi
Buying a tortoise won't be like buying something online from anywhere in the world and having it shipped to you. You are unlikely to find a legitimate seller willing to ship one to you if it's coming from out of country. That said, I would imagine that you could find a Testudo graeca terrestris in UAE with a little work. We have had people show up on the forum with baby T.g. terrestris from your neighbors, Oman and Qatar.

The term "golden greek" is more of a marketing term than an actual species. Testudo graeca terrestris is a highly varied subspecies with lots of color variation from light to dark. It's also impossible to say what exact coloration an adult will have when starting from a baby. There is a long explanation of this on HermanniHaven.com
Thank you so much for the clarification ?☺