Looking for grazing tort seed mix in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mich

5 Year Member
Anyone know of a place that I could purchase a tortoise seed mix from? I've emailed I don't know how many companies but they don't ship internationally .. and aside from regular types of grass seed my local nurseries don't carry many of the seeds that are usually included in the tort seed mix as they are considered weeds etc. I'd love to plant a large patch outside for the summer and then use it in bins during the winter. Any other Canadian here .. help! LOL

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Hi
Have you tried Carolina Pet Supply?
http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=41
Pretty sure they mail to Canada.

Ok I emailed Carolina Pets Supply and they will ship tortoise food but unfortunately not the seeds.
Sorry I'll ask around though -there are quite a few weeds you can collect seeds from of your own-Plantain, dandelion, red clover, some malva flowers etc? Maybe that is an option for you?
There are lots of web sites about edible plants for tortoises.Oh and that annoying weed portulaca-they love it and once you have it you always have it!:D

Englishrose

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
Hi Mich,

Im also having the same problem :(

Im in Vancouver, I ve been searching for ages and cannot find any.

kae

Mich said:
Anyone know of a place that I could purchase a tortoise seed mix from? I've emailed I don't know how many companies but they don't ship internationally .. and aside from regular types of grass seed my local nurseries don't carry many of the seeds that are usually included in the tort seed mix as they are considered weeds etc. I'd love to plant a large patch outside for the summer and then use it in bins during the winter. Any other Canadian here .. help! LOL

Mich

5 Year Member
I did actually email them last week and got the same reply. Canada Post has no problem shipping garden type seeds but the company won't ship them over the border. I do have quite a few edible plant lists and can gather some wild greens on my own, I was just hoping for a fast growing grass that I could seed year round in doors ..

This place will ship 1lb for $30US (inlcuding shipping) which isn't terrible .. http://www.sulcatafood.com/Store.html

I have also made a list of what these type or tort seed mixes usually contain and will go around to the local garden centers and see how many I can find but I know they won't have most of the "weeds" as people generally don't want those lol

Kae - if you find a place let me know and I'll do the same!!!! :)

Mich

5 Year Member
Cactus pads are also impossible find here .. maybe come summer there may be more but they are at garden centers then the've been grown in a lot of fertilized soil.

Englishrose

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
Hey Mich,

yes of course if i find a place that does the weed mix seeds i will let you know and like wise.

Also im going to a nursery on saturday owned by one of my work buddies, they apparently have the prickly pear cactus, they are located in Chilliwack, BC. they do ship throughout Canada and the U.S but i believe that they are easily grow from the pads, so if they have the plant, im happy to send you a few pads to get you started? just let me know :)

or if they do have the cactus i can give your the address i dont know how much it would cost to ship the whole plant

Kae

Mich said:
Cactus pads are also impossible find here .. maybe come summer there may be more but they are at garden centers then the've been grown in a lot of fertilized soil.

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
Is there any new information on this topic? I am looking for a seed mix as well?. Is all wild bird seeds safe for tortoise feed?

jaden21

5 Year Member
I was going to ask the same question how to grow dandilion and other such weeds my torts love. Especially since winter is coming I'm having a hard time finding wild dandelion.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
This sounds like the beginning of a new "seed" company idea in Canada to me :cool:. Any Canadian entrepeneurs? BTW, I ordered the dandelion seeds from Carolina and didn't have much luck with them in the heat here. Then they emailed instructions on how to plant and mine came right up. They had to be planted in cool weather (deep soil for tap root) and kept moist until they sprouted. Now I have two pots full of them. The little tiny packs of seeds looks like you will get nothing, but actually there are a lot of seeds in there. I could order some seeds and mail them to you if you would like. cost plus postage. PM me if interested.

They will probably need to be kept warm or have grow lights or something to keep them going through the winter??? You should check that out first.

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
Ill keep that in mind joy. I jut bought finch / song bird seeds. And i found organic dandelions at a local store. Also they seem to have a lot of seeds in the bulk section of stores. Im wondering if mustard seeds will grow?

jaden21

5 Year Member
Oh yeah I'm interested. The store kind of dandilion squishy doesn't like its the wild ones he loves!!!! Any help is great thanks

Englishrose

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
Tortoise said:
Thats great!!!!!!

Thanks for stopping by and letting us know I will give them a try.

K
I know this is an old post but try Mumms seeds in Saskatchewan. They have red clover seed which is great for tortoises(the sprouts or plants) We can eat them too.
There are spring mixes too etc and they are organic. You can order them from Canada or the US
Here is their web site http://sprouting.com/canstore/enter.html
http://sprouting.com/Seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.