Looking for heating suggestions for a large enclosed space.

Fender508

Location (City and/or State)
CA
I have a few redfoot tortoises in an enclosed space which is wrapped in plastic wrap. It works well in keeping humidity in, but now I need ways to keep it consistently warm. Under the heat lamp is fine, but around the area can go below 70. Whats a cost effective way to keep it warm throughout?

Heres a pic of the enclosure. I’m waiting on a UVB strip light to come in.

Attachments

• 42AF04B6-F0AB-4B05-8514-DBF1D3B952EA.jpeg
    42AF04B6-F0AB-4B05-8514-DBF1D3B952EA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57

Relic

Here
Just an initial thought: the enclosure is way taller than needed. You are having to heat twice as much air as needed. Not sure how it is constructed or how difficult it would be to reduce the height, but that would probably solve the problem.

Fender508

CA
Just an initial thought: the enclosure is way taller than needed. You are having to heat twice as much air as needed. Not sure how it is constructed or how difficult it would be to reduce the height, but that would probably solve the problem.
Its the bottom of the family’s playhouse. So the space was already that tall

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Put a piece on the front with just a small opening so they can crawl into the cavern. Make a smaller outddor night box and insulate it, then fit into that spot. The area as is, is too large to effectively heat up. Lots of options, depending how crafty you are.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Put a piece on the front with just a small opening so they can crawl into the cavern. Make a smaller outddor night box and insulate it, then fit into that spot. The area as is, is too large to effectively heat up. Lots of options, depending how crafty you are.
Yes. Agreed.

Fender508

CA
What do you mean when you say “put a piece on the front with just a small opening”? I’m having trouble visualizing it.

I like the idea of making a heated night box. I will work on that.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
What do you mean when you say “put a piece on the front with just a small opening”? I’m having trouble visualizing it.

I like the idea of making a heated night box. I will work on that.

Forgive the drawing...but a simple piece of plywood with an entrance hole will help keep the space warmer. Right now the entire front is open.

AD5B21BD-0E1D-404C-85D0-EB8D6380849C.jpeg

Fender508

CA
Forgive the drawing...but a simple piece of plywood with an entrance hole will help keep the space warmer. Right now the entire front is open.

View attachment 310296
Oh I see. This would be my mistake in the photo, but I do have a double wood door in the front. The doors were made for our rabbit before so it was a wood frame with a wire screen, but I’ve also covered that in plastic sheet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a few redfoot tortoises in an enclosed space which is wrapped in plastic wrap. It works well in keeping humidity in, but now I need ways to keep it consistently warm. Under the heat lamp is fine, but around the area can go below 70. Whats a cost effective way to keep it warm throughout?

Heres a pic of the enclosure. I’m waiting on a UVB strip light to come in.
Your life will be MUCH easier, and your tortoise's lives MUCH better if you just go ahead and build a night box. You won't be able to keep that heated properly through the winter.