Looking for info on what kind of tortoise to get

Justin C.

Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit, MI
Hello, I am looking for some information on a new tortoise. I will be a first time owner (friend).
1. Easy to care for
2. Small size (I would like it to be able to roam the house)
3. Friendly, likes human interaction (I know its depends more with each tortoise)
4. Age ? (Hatch, Juv, Adult) best maybe adult from information I received
5. Pet Store vs. Breeder, So far breeders store online are why more then at local pet store (not counting big chain, not going to happen)

If there is someone selling a tortoise, please let me know.

Many thanks,
Justin

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you've just described a Russian tortoise. However, I would never condone allowing it to roam throughout the house freely. There is too much trouble a small animal can get into on the floor, to say nothing about how cold it can get on the floor. Plus without thinking about it, you or anyone in the house, might step on the tortoise, not realizing he's underfoot.

Justin C.

Metro Detroit, MI
Sorry, I meant that I was looking for a tortoise I can let out of the enclosure at time with the family (same room).
Is there any others I can look at or is the Russian the best option?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Any of the russian type torts. greek, russian etc.., are going to be the best bet for the smaller torts. You could also look into a box turtle as an option. they have great personalities. Any of this type of turtle or tortoise does better outside though. Not that you can not keep them indoors, but they are healtier and happier in an outdoor environment.
Breeders cost more because you are getting a captive bred animal that has a better chance of being more healthy than a store bought wild caugh animal. Many are of the opinion that you should not purchase from pet stores. I personally do not take issue with it. These animals need love too. Regardless of where you adopt your friend from, make sure to research them well before hand. Remember, not all petstores are the same even if they have the same name. One 'PetSmart" might take excellent care of their torts and another might have them on the brink of death. Same with breeders.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Justin C. said:
Hello, I am looking for some information on a new tortoise. I will be a first time owner (friend).
1. Easy to care for
2. Small size (I would like it to be able to roam the house)
3. Friendly, likes human interaction (I know its depends more with each tortoise)
4. Age ? (Hatch, Juv, Adult) best maybe adult from information I received
5. Pet Store vs. Breeder, So far breeders store online are why more then at local pet store (not counting big chain, not going to happen)

If there is someone selling a tortoise, please let me know.

Many thanks,
Justin

1. This is all relative and subjective. For some people having to spend more than 5 minutes a day taking care of an animal makes it "difficult". Other people spend 2 hours a day and find it "easy". Also, your climate, the season, and how you set them up can make a big difference in how easy it is to take care of them. For example: I live in a warm climate and my sulcatas and leopards all live outdoors. They have heated boxes for night time and cold days and this time of year there are more weeds growing in their enclosure than they can eat. I rinse and refill their water every few days, but there is ZERO work to do on them right now. When summer hits I will have to refill their water daily and drop some food for them, but that's it. If I were trying to house them indoors over a frozen winter it would require a lot more time effort and expense.
2. Russian, greek or hermanns all fit this bill well, but no tortoise should be loose on the floor. They ned to be in their own enclosure for their safety and well being.
3. All of the above are likely to fit the bill here.
4. Age really doesn't matter in my opinion. I prefer to raise them from hatchlings, but hatchlings do leave less room for error. Just don't make the common and easily avoidable errors and hatchlings are easy. Here are some of those: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-45180.html
5. Breeder. All the way. No question here.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Personally for me, and from my experience, I would have to say get a red footed tortoise. They stay relatively small (11"-14") and are easy to care for. If you want something a little smaller, go for a greek tortoise. They stay around the 8"-9" mark, and have amazing personalities. It all depends on you though, as it was said above, this is a subjective topic. People who like or own one species will tell you to get their species etc... It really all depends on what you find appealing, what you are able to house and care for, and how long of a commitment you are willing to make (Tortoises live for a very long time, usually in upwards of 50 years depending on the species!!!). Just my two cents, hope it helped!