Looking for soulmates

jas17

Location (City and/or State)
Makati, Philippines
Hello to all..

I am from Manila and looking for partner-friends for my tortoises. All three (2 male Sulcata's and 1 female Aldabra) are around 15 yrs or so.

I keep them in a farm, in a fairly large enclosure outside the city. Unfortunately, none of them have anyone anyone to eventually breed too. Thus, I am searching for some potential mates.

I plan to add radiated torts soon . Eventually, all will be living heirlooms for my children.

Appreciate the help from anyone out there. And thank you in advance!

:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises don't generally like other tortoises around. They won't be "Soulmates" or even friends. They are competitors and combatants for the same resources. Groups can sometimes work, but they do best when housed individually. They should never be kept in pairs. If you want pairs, best to house them individually, and put them together for short periods of time for breeding.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Tortoises don't generally like other tortoises around. They won't be "Soulmates" or even friends. They are competitors and combatants for the same resources. Groups can sometimes work, but they do best when housed individually. They should never be kept in pairs. If you want pairs, best to house them individually, and put them together for short periods of time for breeding.

What are general/rough/accepted group sizes and space requirements for groups of redfoots and sulcatas?

Jamie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are general/rough/accepted group sizes and space requirements for groups of redfoots and sulcatas?

I don't know RFs because I don't keep them, but from what I've read, they are similar to sulcatas, but perhaps even more gregarious and tolerant of their own species.

For the species I work with, groups of 3 or more babies and juveniles tend to work fine. As the males get bigger and closer to maturity, I typically separate them from the females, so that the females can grow up in peace. For adults of my species, its usually one male to 3 females, but this does vary. I typically leave a male in with the female sulcatas and that compromise seems to work well in most cases. The SA leopard males are far too aggressive, so they live alone and have access to the females for breeding for short times during spring and summer. I sometimes let the two SA males battle for a few minutes in the female enclosure to stimulate better breeding, but I really don't think this is necessary in this case. It does seem to be a good tactic for some species and some situations. My star girls live in groups of three, and I will introduce males into their enclosures periodically. Sometimes one male at a time, and sometimes two or three males at one time. I usually put the males in with them mid-day, and separate them back out after dark when I come in and lock them all up for the night.

I'm constantly considering, re-evaluting, talking to other tortoise keepers and often try new things to make things work even better, but thee are the current details that work for me. I've seen and heard of larger mixed sex groups of both RFs and sulcatas. It can sometimes work in large enclosure with larger numbers of tortoises, but if sometimes doesn't.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
In a very large enclosure with one or two males and at least 3 females for each male... Sometimes a somewhat harmonious group can be assembled. But there is no guarantee even though RF are generally more tolerant. I've had to re home one or two tortoises over the years...Usually males...That would not live with others. No matter what.
Multiple females with no male is usually easier to do. (Even in pairs with ample room)
Multiple males I would not even attempt.
Not even with Redfoot.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I don't know RFs because I don't keep them, but from what I've read, they are similar to sulcatas, but perhaps even more gregarious and tolerant of their own species.

For the species I work with, groups of 3 or more babies and juveniles tend to work fine. As the males get bigger and closer to maturity, I typically separate them from the females, so that the females can grow up in peace. For adults of my species, its usually one male to 3 females, but this does vary. I typically leave a male in with the female sulcatas and that compromise seems to work well in most cases. The SA leopard males are far too aggressive, so they live alone and have access to the females for breeding for short times during spring and summer. I sometimes let the two SA males battle for a few minutes in the female enclosure to stimulate better breeding, but I really don't think this is necessary in this case. It does seem to be a good tactic for some species and some situations. My star girls live in groups of three, and I will introduce males into their enclosures periodically. Sometimes one male at a time, and sometimes two or three males at one time. I usually put the males in with them mid-day, and separate them back out after dark when I come in and lock them all up for the night.

I'm constantly considering, re-evaluting, talking to other tortoise keepers and often try new things to make things work even better, but thee are the current details that work for me. I've seen and heard of larger mixed sex groups of both RFs and sulcatas. It can sometimes work in large enclosure with larger numbers of tortoises, but if sometimes doesn't.

Thanks so much for your considered, and considerate, reply.

I appreciate it.

Jamie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
In a very large enclosure with one or two males and at least 3 females for each male... Sometimes a somewhat harmonious group can be assembled. But there is no guarantee even though RF are generally more tolerant. I've had to re home one or two tortoises over the years...Usually males...That would not live with others. No matter what.
Multiple females with no male is usually easier to do. (Even in pairs with ample room)
Multiple males I would not even attempt.
Not even with Redfoot.

Thanks, that was illuminating.

Jamie

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I have 15 adults, sub adult redfoots together. 11 females and 4 males.
They all tolerate each other and very rarely do I see any bullying going on. But it does happen.
Females get agitated when gravid and want to clear out an area . Top 2 males do combat occasionally. I think this happens when it’s breeding season. Not really much to worry about because they have plenty of space to be alone.
A friend of mine had a very aggressive male that was reaching sexual maturity. I’ve never seen a redfoot so aggressive, constantly biting, chasing and ramming the female. So it does happen. We added a 2nd female to her pair and in a new environment and now he’s calmed down. Thankfully.

jas17

Makati, Philippines

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Tortoises don't find soulmates, they find rape victims.