Looking for tips n tricks to feeding mazuri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta Canada Eh
Most of my torts have been on rep cal tort diet or zoo med forest tort diet as a treat to sneak in with greens but If i feed either all by itself its gone in seconds....
So i bought a big bag of mazuri and dampened it as its alot larger then the pellets of the other brands and tossed it in there.... also tried a small dish dry.
They didnt take to it at all so I mixed some rep cal in with it and they just picked that out....
are there any tricks to getting them used to it?
Any advice is gold so thanks in advance :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
mazuri lazagna.. recipe on here somewhere.

if your torts like fruit.. in small quantities.. try adding that.. or just the juice.. mine sniff everything they try.
if thier fave smell is there.. they might try it.. and like it..

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Here are the recommendations people have given me on my similar question:
"They won't eat it"

Laura said:
mazuri lazagna.. recipe on here somewhere.

if your torts like fruit.. in small quantities.. try adding that.. or just the juice.. mine sniff everything they try.
if thier fave smell is there.. they might try it.. and like it..

Here is the recipe for Dean's Tortoise Lasagna:
"Tortoise Lasagne"

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
For my RF (cherry heads) I make a mix of soaked mazuri, chopped hibiscus leaves and flowers, chopped dandelion leaves, chopped escarole, curly endive ...or any other chopped greens...spring mix etc., and I add some chopped strawberries and cantaloupe. I feed this to my box turtles too. The greens are high in calcium, and the fruit smells good so everyone usually finishes what I give them.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I offered some moistened Mazuri, and just left it in place for the rest of the day. It helped that I did not have anything else to offer at the moment. I know some people have had luck chopping strawberries into it as well.

I usually feed a mix of fresh/Mazuri, but if they start to ignore one part of the mix, I back off on the other stuff for a bit until they eat it as well.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
I was looking to use the mazuri as a "day off" kind of food where i didnt have to spend a half hour in the kitchen prior to feeding.... lol
I will try your guys tips and Hopfully i will ahve good news to report :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't have any tricks sadly, because mine eats it like there is no tomorrow. I do mix it with greens though (grape leaves)

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
This is the creepyist post I've seen.

I was wondering how I could do it but found the solution was simple... post the link... the UK folks would freak.

To answer the question... no tricks... just keep offering the pellet until it trys it... Like the Mikey commercial... try it you'll like it.

It can take time but once a tortoise trys it... it knows what's good.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
I simply soak it in Hot water.....serve and " WATCH OUT" the herd ...eats it like theres no tomorrow....
Maybe for your guys'...."Candle light and a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon" ? :p

JD~:)

Try adding baby food , yam and or fruit type, carrot flavors....ect. Or they reliable Redfoot Tortie Crack = Bananas:D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
N2TORTS said:
I simply soak it in Hot water.....serve and " WATCH OUT" the herd ...eats it like theres no tomorrow....
Maybe for your guys'...."Candle light and a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon" ? :p

JD~:)

Try adding baby food , yam and or fruit type, carrot flavors....ect. Or they reliable Redfoot Tortie Crack = Bananas:D

You always make me smile Jeff. I never thought about the baby food. What a great idea.
In the Winter, when it's harder to get produce, and I'm snowed in, I give just plain soaked Mazuri to any of the one's I have to keep inside. The only problem with that is then they won't want anything else for a while. Once they get a taste for it .........

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Mine didn't take to it for a month when I first started... but once they took a bite.. they were sold on it. I do mix it with cactus though.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
It's simple (to me). Feed your schedule like you want without the other types of chow. Skip a day of feeding. And then feed just the soaked Mazuri. If it doesn't work the first week or so, it should work soon after.
The first couple of Mazuri feedings, try very small amounts until they take to it and then adjust the amount so they do not leave anything for the Mazuri day meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.