Looking for your ideas for my new turtle and tortoise outside area

Status
Not open for further replies.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
So this is the area we will be enclosing, I am open to any cool ideas!

How to divide the area (I have box turtles, russian tortoise and now a Leopard) How about basking use concrete or not...etc

We are planning to build a 3ft tall wood fence, my husband has been fencing for 13 years and is digging it down a foot and above ground 2 ft.

Making pen beside the persimmon tree all the way back , basicly the complete area, plus behind me if needed

DSCI0023.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
While you are in the planning stages, remember that the box turtles will require more of a shady area, while the two desert-type tortoises will be fine in full sun with shady hides. I would use the cement portion too. It would be a nice place for them to sun themselves and draw warmth from the cement. You can also build up an area for their hide or shed on the cement. The Russians and box turtles are diggers, while the leopard is not.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Ooohh, a project! How fun! How nice of your husband to do the grunt work of the fence. :p

I have no advice, but please post photos as you go. It's exciting to anticipate the end product! ;)

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
ok, stephain, what is a reformed taco mom, i was pondering it before i went to bed last night

YOU KEPT ME UP, lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh, all that open tortoise space gives me chills!!! I like to use cinder blocks or slumpstone blocks like this:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/4267715001_d35d8409c6_b.jpg

Two blocks high will contain all your species and they are king of like legos. You can move them around and change your mind as much as you like since they are not permanent. They also make solid pieces to cap your wall, if you don't like the unsightly holes. Then hubby will be happy he doesn't have to dig up the yard. My eighteen inch sullies are contained by three blocks high(you can see part of their pen in the b.g.) and so far they haven't been able to move the bricks. Mine don't try to dig out, but you'd have to keep an eye on yours.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Another thing for hubby to keep in mind is: if they can see through the fence, then that's where they want to get to. A 1x12 board across the bottom of that chain link fence would be good. You can either drill holes in the corners of the board and twist-tie it or bolt it to the fence.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Oh that chain link will be covered.... Thats not acceptable.

The chain link and that old fence have a 18 inch concrete footing, so we will add a fence infront of it.

Our fence will be all wood on all 4 side!

The cylinder blocks mentioned above will be great to divide the area!

Your looking at the area BEFORE i pen it in.

I need a box turtle area,
leopard tortoise area
and a Russian area

Roachman26 said:
Oh, all that open tortoise space gives me chills!!! I like to use cinder blocks or slumpstone blocks like this:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/4267715001_d35d8409c6_b.jpg

Two blocks high will contain all your species and they are king of like legos. You can move them around and change your mind as much as you like since they are not permanent. They also make solid pieces to cap your wall, if you don't like the unsightly holes. Then hubby will be happy he doesn't have to dig up the yard. My eighteen inch sullies are contained by three blocks high(you can see part of their pen in the b.g.) and so far they haven't been able to move the bricks. Mine don't try to dig out, but you'd have to keep an eye on yours.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
terracolson said:
ok, stephain, what is a reformed taco mom, i was pondering it before i went to bed last night
YOU KEPT ME UP, lol

I wish I could laugh, but it's actually pretty embarassing and still brings tears of shame to my eyes.

I stood by for nearly four years while my daughter kept Taco in a 10 gallon fish tank, with newspaper pellet substrate, no hide, no light/heat, intermittent water supply and a leaf of Romaine a couple times a week. It's so awful I almost sent it to you in a PM, but the folks that have been on here more than six months already know the truth. It was ignorance, not cruelty, but still inexcusable.

I am reformed because now that I know the truth about what Taco is and what her needs are, I am determined to do what is right by her for the rest of her life or my life, whichever comes first. And I will provide a keeper for her in my will so she will always have good care.

Sorry the answer is such a downer.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Lucky you. Which great State are you located?

Help hubby and friends dig down 2 feet and run fencing all the way down. Recommend flagstone stepping stones for basking as they are smoother for them and retain heat pretty good, and portable for you. I paid $10 each for mine.

Depending on how you divide the plots will determine who gets the tree and the swamp.

The concrete blocks are a feasible way to create this and then you can plant seeds in each to let them graze/browse on their own.

Use 12+" lattice to cover the fences and grow your grape leaves, and other plants.

You'll be able to enjoy all the pens from a hot tub if that's in the plans.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I was just thinking hot tub the other day.. to bad i am a renter! but i am leased for 2 years...

Tax return..do i hear you coming????

Flagstones good idea

I like the grape vines idea as well

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
They have hot tubs for above ground.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
yes, they go on cragislist for free all the time, but i got a 4 yr old and dont want that worry

Status
Not open for further replies.