Looking into breeds

lf13

Location (City and/or State)
Bradford
Hey all,

We're looking into purchashing/rehoming a tortoise and I'm just looking for some advice.

We wanted to find a breed that grows a decent size so we've settled on an Indian star.

We're first time tortoise owners, is there anything specific you think we need to know about this breed before committing to one?

We're based in west Yorkshire, UK.

Last edited:

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
I would start with this generic information first:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/

It covers all the basic of tortoise care and requirements (enclosures, feeding, heating and lightning and more). Then you can proceed to star tortoises care sheet (it's linked at the bottom of that post).

Where are you located? Because there are Bradford in Canada, UK and some states of US. Your local climate is a very serious factor to consider when choosing a tortoise.

I think @Tom can give you more insights on keeping indian stars vs other species.

lf13

Bradford
Hello!
I would start with this generic information first:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/

It covers all the basic of tortoise care and requirements (enclosures, feeding, heating and lightning and more). Then you can proceed to star tortoises care sheet (it's linked at the bottom of that post).

Where are you located? Because there are Bradford in Canada, UK and some states of US. Your local climate is a very serious factor to consider when choosing a tortoise.

I think @Tom can give you more insights on keeping indian stars vs other species.
Hey,

Thank you for your response. We're based in the north of the UK so it's a cold climate for sure.

If it's not a good idea to get indian stars in the UK climate I'll look into other breeds, we want to ensure the tortoise is comfortable for sure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do your research on this forum on care, closed chamber, space they need as hatchlings and then adults, all Tom can help you with.
Also, just an FYI, they are species not breeds.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hey,

Thank you for your response. We're based in the north of the UK so it's a cold climate for sure.

If it's not a good idea to get indian stars in the UK climate I'll look into other breeds, we want to ensure the tortoise is comfortable for sure.
Things will be much easier with species who don't constant high temperatures and brumate (hibernate) in winter like most of Testudo species (Greek, Russian, Hermanns and maybe Marginated).

I'm not completely sure but stars are not brumating and they need accomodation for the winter/spring/autumn with decent space, heating and lightning. It's certainly doable if you either have enough space in your house or willing to build a "greenhouse" style outdoor enclosure with additional heating and, optionally, covered with UV-transparent plastic so tortoise can benefit from natural sunlight. Large heated sheds can also work (but it's essentially an indoors enclosure).

As with any reptiles, the more your climate deviates from their native habitat the harder is to keep them. And this is magnified by tortoise space requirements - for the most species you can't get away with just a 6x3 ft vivarium like you can do with bearded dragon or blue-tongue skink lizards. For the smallest of tortoises 8x4 ft is a recommended space (their body is not flexible, they don't jump or climb, their digestion depends on walking around so raw space is crucial).

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome from a fellow uk member!

Being from the uk myself, knowing how unpredictable and overall not ideal our climate is, I can’t in good conscience recommend an Indian star, you’ll need a room sized space you can maintain high humidity, not easy to do, nor is it ideal that we can’t house them outdoors here.

I personally think species like Herman’s or Russians are more suited to the uk, I know they’re a smaller species, but they have bags of personality and are very manageable care wise. Greeks are another option, they get a bit bigger.

Providing a large enough space that can maintain all the environmental needs a star has here, isn’t an easy task imo and not one I’d personally recommend taking on. But if you think you’re able to do it, by all means go for it! They’ll always be folks on here that can help advise you on how to go about everything🥰

lf13

Bradford
Thank you all for your responses, I really appreciate the advice! I will stay away from the Indian star and look at rehoming an alternative species that would do fine in the UK. I'm glad I posted here before making the commitment.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hey,

None of the three Star Tortoises (Burmese, Indian, and Sri Lankan) are good candidates for your climate/location.

Think instead about getting a Russian Tortoise, or one of the several species/subspecies of Hermann's Tortoises.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thank you all for your responses, I really appreciate the advice! I will stay away from the Indian star and look at rehoming an alternative species that would do fine in the UK. I'm glad I posted here before making the commitment.
No problem at all! I’m so glad you made your way here too!
I truly wish the family member that purchased our red foot many years before we’d met, would’ve found this forum first too! We’ve ended up in the position of having a species that just simply isn’t suited to our climate here, they had no idea how much room she needed at the time, building her a large space that maintains her needs has been a difficult journey, and is still less than ideal.
I’m glad you don’t have to make the same mistake
If we could turn back time, they absolutely would have gone for a species like a Russian. I have a real soft spot for those little guys, what they lack in size they more than make up for in cheeky personality😂

I’d love to hear what species you end up going for if you don’t mind keeping us in the loop! It’s really nice seeing people’s new tortoise journeys🥰

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey all,

We're looking into purchashing/rehoming a tortoise and I'm just looking for some advice.

We wanted to find a breed that grows a decent size so we've settled on an Indian star.

We're first time tortoise owners, is there anything specific you think we need to know about this breed before committing to one?

We're based in west Yorkshire, UK.
Everyone is going to have differing opinions on this subject. I'll share my thoughts:
1. First, we are talking about different species, not "breeds". Breeds are varieties of the same species of domesticated animals, like Great Danes and Chihuahuas. Same species, Canis familiaris, but different breeds. Tortoise's are different species like Russians, Testudo horsfeildii, or the Indian star, Geochelone elegans.
2. In your climate, most any species is going to have to be kept indoors most of every year, so something small is the way to go. Even the small species will need a very large enclosure, minimum 4x8 feet for adults, and a closed chamber will make temperature and humidity maintenance MUCH easier.
3. I think Indians stars would be great for you because they stay small, but you will need a huge enclosure, and it will have to be kept HOT year round. You will need a generator to power the enclosure in case the power goes out, because one cold night can make this sensitive species sick.
4. I prefer Burmese stars, Geochelone platynota. These get a little bigger, but still manageable. I find them much more friendly and personable, much hardier, and not sensitive to environmental conditions at all. They also need it hot year round, but an accidental cold night now and then won't do them any harm. I've accidentally left mine out on a cold damp night several times over the years, around 4-8C, and I just popped them back in their warm houses first thing in the morning with no ill effect. I'm not saying you should EVER let them get that cold. I'm saying I made a terrible mistake, and they were completely fine with no ill effects at all.
5. Temperate species like the Russians, hermanni and greeks, also stay small, and can tolerate colder temperatures. They can also brumate over winter, which I find to be a nice break, while others miss their charges terribly. You'll have to figure out how you feel about this. They do not have to be brumated, but it is my opinion that species that brumate in the wild should be brumated in captivity too. Other keepers do not share that opinion, and choose to keep their temperate tortoises up all winter, and it does not do any harm that we can see.

Baby tortoises of any species can be started with a 2x4 foot closed chamber enclosure, but adults of any of these species we are talking about can be housed indoors with a minimum of 4x8 feet. Larger than that would be better, but 4x8 can work. A closed chamber will make maintaining the correct temperatures and humidity easy. An open topped enclosure only works if the room temperature and humidity suits the species you are keeping in it.

Questions are welcome!