looking into getting a red foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
Hi I live in AZ and I have two sullys and I'm starting to look into getting a red foot. Where is a good place to find them and about how much do they run? Also how different is their diet and care to the sullys? Thanks for any help.

Also how big do they get?

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Hello! I live in AZ too and have a redfoot. :)
As far as I know redfoots are way different that Sulcatas, they require way more humidity and a different diet. They are more of a tropical species. I got mine from tortoise supply who run their business out of Nevada, but I have learned that there is a place called Arizona Tortoise Compound who are local. Some Petcos have them but don't seem to be educated on them.. I searched a ton of local reptile shops for them before I bought mine and had no luck finding any that carried them. They are for sure cute torts and very enjoyable!!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Helllo...I too am from Arizona. I have a 2 year old sucata and a 5-7 year old rescue redfoot...I would suggest Arizona Tortoise Compound...Andy is a great guy over there, i purchased my sullie from him. Not sure what his prices are but you can look them up on his web site..and yes, they are different care then sulcatas, they eat more fruit, more humidity. Look them up on tortoiselibrary.com .......I will say one thing about them.. they are very sociable. Had i known their characteristics before, i would have gotten one sooner...

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
I personally recommend tortoisesupply, but I've heard good things about Arizona Tortoise Compound too.

With shipping, a redfoot from tortoisesupply will run you $144.99.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Size: Generally 25-35 cm(adult) depending on lines and variants.
Diet: I feed mine 60% weeds and veg(very few grasses unlike Sullys) and 40% fruit(no citrus, bananas or tomatoes) with animal protein every two weeks. Also calcium supplement and access to cuttlefish bone. They also have edible plants and weeds such as clover, strawberry and hibiscus in their enclosure.
Housing: Need 70%+ humidity 24/7. Should be a bit higher at night. Inside they need a large enclosure, 6 by 3 min for adult especially if your weather's not great. In summer should be outside-can cope with temps down to 15 degrees celsius. For indoor housing you can use either a viv type set up(just cover up a bit of the glass so they can't see out) or an open top area but needs to be well heated and regularly sprayed. You might want to invest in a mister. Substrate wise I use soil, leaflitter and moss.
General care: Bathe at least every other day.
Personality: Very outgoing, and sociable as torts go.Mine love being stroked on their head. They are aslo intelligent and some recognise their name!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Before you make your purchase, really dig through the information provided at this website:
http://tortoiselibrary.com/

You'll find just about all you need here. If you want more, Mike Pingleton has a book called "The Redfoot Manual" and it's the most instructive book I've read on redfoot husbandry and care. Amanda Ebenback has one as well, but I found it redundant and lacking husbandry instruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.