Looking like a female Burmese star

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
I’m thinking my Burmese yearling is going to be a female. Thoughts? I got her from a breeder last fall, who incubated for female and it’s looking like he was spot on. So pumped. She was doing so great, I ended up buying a 1.1 temp sexed from him this fall. I’m hoping to get a 1.2 group going And breed them in 8 years. My young hatchlings are way too young to feel the Sex. But they are so much fun to work with. Gorgeous animals.

IMG_9074.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg

zovick

10 Year Member!
I’m thinking my Burmese yearling is going to be a female. Thoughts? I got her from a breeder last fall, who incubated for female and it’s looking like he was spot on. So pumped. She was doing so great, I ended up buying a 1.1 temp sexed from him this fall. I’m hoping to get a 1.2 group going And breed them in 8 years. My young hatchlings are way too young to feel the Sex. But they are so much fun to work with. Gorgeous animals.

View attachment 225427View attachment 225428

It still appears that tortoise could go either way to me. Who is the breeder?

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I agree with Mr. Z. Can't tell yet. I watched all of mine for months and couldn't tell one way or the other, but when it happened, it happened pretty suddenly. I went from not knowing the sex of any of them, to knowing all 10 within the space of a couple of months. I'd have to look at the dates in my notes, but I think they were around 2 years old when it became obvious. I got mine in Spring/Summer of 2013 and I got my first eggs on October first of this year. My smallest female is about 3400 grams and my largest is over 4000 now. I now have 5 clutches going through the works and a sixth clutch will be laid any day now by a female that dug a test hole two days ago.

I bought 4 from one seller, 4 from another, and 2 from the last. 8 of the 10 were "incubated for female". Exactly 50% of each group ended up being female. So: 2.2, 2.2, 1.1. I was hoping for more females, but I'm happy either way. I love them all.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Agree with Dr Z and Tom. Can't tell yet from the plastron. I found the overall shape from above to be an earlier indicator for me. All my males have a very distinct, more elongate shape, while the females have a much rounder appearance and a more vertical look at the 3rd costals. For me, this became more apparent earlier than tail or anal scute characteristics. A couple of pictures of your group from above and it would be fun to play the "guess the sex" game!

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Agree with Dr Z and Tom. Can't tell yet from the plastron. I found the overall shape from above to be an earlier indicator for me. All my males have a very distinct, more elongate shape, while the females have a much rounder appearance and a more vertical look at the 3rd costals. For me, this became more apparent earlier than tail or anal scute characteristics. A couple of pictures of your group from above and it would be fun to play the "guess the sex" game!
I noticed the shape things too. I call my biggest male "Football" due to his shape. I'll post pics someday when I'm not working 16 hour days...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I went looking through my computer to see if I had any older pics, and I did! I also found a pic of my weight sheet that I marked the sexes on. All of mine hatched around April or May of 2013. I got them all between 27 and 41 grams. By September 7, 2015, all the sexes were obvious.

Here is a pic demonstrating the shape difference @Markw84 mentioned. Male on the left and female on the right. This pic is about a year and a half old now, but these two ended up being my largest male and largest female. This female has now laid two clutches for me this year, sired by this male. This is Football and Big Green.
IMG_3136.JPG

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
Breeder is Chris Leone from garden state Tortoise. All cool information. I’m used to working with Mediterranean species. I look forward to seeing if the shape thing is true for these as well. My work hours suck as well, when things calm down I’ll try and take more pictures.

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
I went looking through my computer to see if I had any older pics, and I did! I also found a pic of my weight sheet that I marked the sexes on. All of mine hatched around April or May of 2013. I got them all between 27 and 41 grams. By September 7, 2015, all the sexes were obvious.

Here is a pic demonstrating the shape difference @Markw84 mentioned. Male on the left and female on the right. This pic is about a year and a half old now, but these two ended up being my largest male and largest female. This female has now laid two clutches for me this year, sired by this male. This is Football and Big Green.
View attachment 225439

They are gorgeous.