Looking to adopt a juvi or hatching

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
hello, I’m looking to adopt a hatchling or juvi tortoise. I’m open to all breeds except Sulcata. I live in SoCal.
Hi.

I have South African Leopards that do well in our climate. Are you looking to buy, or get one free? What is your opposition to a sulcata?

If you want a free tortoise, check with our local CTTC chapter and see about getting a young desert tortoise in need of a home. They can be given for free, but never sold, and they are a great tortoise species, especially up here in SCV where we are.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I breed redfoots and they do great down there. There $105 without shipping. Really healthy And make great pets.
Our climate here is very hot in summer, 100+ nearly very day, and cold in winter, 50s and 60s mostly, and it is VERY dry year round. RFs don't tend to do very well here at all, even with tremendous time, effort and expense.

Trev1010

Florida
Our climate here is very hot in summer, 100+ nearly very day, and cold in winter, 50s and 60s mostly, and it is VERY dry year round. RFs don't tend to do very well here at all, even with tremendous time, effort and expense.
I have friend who plants bushes and also sets up sprinklers, and also for the cold nights he uses pig blankets for there hides its not that hard to provide a suitable habitat for redfoots in Cali.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I have friend who plants bushes and also sets up sprinklers, and also for the cold nights he uses pig blankets for there hides its not that hard to provide a suitable habitat for redfoots in Cali.
It is worth noting, that when looking at what its like to create a habitat in "California", it is quite different than saying "Florida" or "Kansas". There is no single climate type for California. We have everything from pure alpine at Lake Tahoe, to mild, never hot, foggy Monterey, to the extreme desert of Barstow. Sacramento is totally different than San Diego. San Francisco is totally different than Bakersfield. When talking California, its like saying.. "its not hard to keep a sulcata in the United States".

SteveW

It is worth noting, that when looking at what its like to create a habitat in "California", it is quite different than saying "Florida" or "Kansas". There is no single climate type for California. We have everything from pure alpine at Lake Tahoe, to mild, never hot, foggy Monterey, to the extreme desert of Barstow. Sacramento is totally different than San Diego. San Francisco is totally different than Bakersfield. When talking California, its like saying.. "its not hard to keep a sulcata in the United States".

All true, but any tort raised in California must be raised gluten free and fed exclusively from Whole Foods which adds to the expense [emoji16]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Have you done it here? I have. Know many other people who have tried and failed too. As I said, its not impossible, but it usually doesn't go very well. They need ambient humidity that we just don't have and bushes and sprinklers don't provide it. I've tried many times and many ways.