Looking to adopt a male and female Sulcata.

Location (City and/or State)
Starkville,MS
I would like to breed them. I own a farm and have decided to start an educational petting farm. We have plenty of acreage to suit bigger tortoises. As well as a place for them to stay in the wintertime. We have mild winters, so most of their time will be spent outside.
I would love to rescue a couple if I can find any. I’m in Northeast, MS.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
If you get two, they cannot live together, and should either be in a group of one male and at least two females(the more, the better), or allowed to mate and then separated. In pairs, the male will be constantly harassing the female, and it will be extremely stressful for both.

Starkville,MS
If you get two, they cannot live together, and should either be in a group of one male and at least two females(the more, the better), or allowed to mate and then separated. In pairs, the male will be constantly harassing the female, and it will be extremely stressful for both.
I have 30 Acres split up in 6 pastures. They can be separate and still have plenty of room. Thanks for the info!

Starkville,MS
Man, that’s a lot of land! I’m sure tortoises would do great there.

Thanks! We actually have 52, but 30 is fenced. Do they do ok with other animals or should I keep them by theirselves? I have horses(I probably wouldn’t keep them in with them though) sheep, and goats I have in three pastures at a time. How much land is too much for them?
Thanks for the help!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thanks! We actually have 52, but 30 is fenced. Do they do ok with other animals or should I keep them by theirselves? I have horses(I probably wouldn’t keep them in with them though) sheep, and goats I have in three pastures at a time. How much land is too much for them?
Thanks for the help!

I would keep them alone. You could also try having a herd of tortoises, if you wanted. Tortoises tend to be able to live peacefully in groups.

Starkville,MS
I would keep them alone. You could also try having a herd of tortoises, if you wanted.

I would love to have a herd. We have a ton of grass. I didn’t know the herd thing was an option. I’ve just started the petting farm and don’t have a lot of funds. I would love to help someone out though and would be able to make a long lasting commitment to my tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would be hesitant to have animals share pasture with tortoises unless you can pick up the other animal poop daily. With sheep and goats I doubt that's possible.