Looking to adopt a tortoise so cal area

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkally

5 Year Member
our 8 year old desert tortoise is very lonley and needs a companion.anyone out there have an older tortoise up for adoption or sale. we are in so cal.
Gail:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Just so you know, most tortoises do not need nor want a companion. There is a good chance your tort will not want to share its territory and you will have to keep them separated. I don't know about DT's in particular, but there are very few, if any that do good in pairs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would like to welcome you to the forum, but I must tell you that your tortoise is NOT lonely and does NOT need or want a companion. DTs are very territorial. Even the females sometimes. Your tortoise will be happiest as the sole king of the castle with no competitions for food, shelter or resources.

Now if YOU just want another tortoise, that is cool. Just make him/her a separate enclosure. Then you won't have the quarantine or disease risk issues or any territorial fighting.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Hi Gail.

Contact your local CTTC chapter. We always have torts in need of homes.

Seriously consider what the other posters said first. ;)

Sent from my VS840 4G using TortForum mobile app

gkally

5 Year Member
thanks for all of your insight, this Tortoise actually had a room mate for all his life, another DT, while we were out of town our caretaker left the enclosure open and now it's been about 2 weeks and not a single sighting of him : (. we live in the high desert on 2 1/2 acres and our back property line backs onto angeles national forest. I fear we will never see him again. because he has always had another tortoise around I thought he might be used to it. but if you all think he is just as happy without one. I think he will be a solo tortoise.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Ohhh nooo, I do hope you find the missing tortoise. There is always a chance that you will. One never knows and I hope he or she reappears!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
gkally said:
thanks for all of your insight, this Tortoise actually had a room mate for all his life, another DT, while we were out of town our caretaker left the enclosure open and now it's been about 2 weeks and not a single sighting of him : (. we live in the high desert on 2 1/2 acres and our back property line backs onto angeles national forest. I fear we will never see him again. because he has always had another tortoise around I thought he might be used to it. but if you all think he is just as happy without one. I think he will be a solo tortoise.

So sorry!! Did he have a permit? Have you contacted the local CTTC to see if he was turned in to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.