Looking to adopt an Hermann - Rancho Cucamonga/ San Bernardino, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortue

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
Hi,
I'm new on the forum. This is very interesting. I learned so much since I joined! I had a tortoise when I was a child in Europe, an Herman female still at my father's house. I decided to adoptone for my family here (I have 3 girls). I live close to Rancho Cucamonga, CA. I wanted to buy one from Petco, then decided to do some research in local shelters, then found the CTTC in Redlands and sent out an application 2 weeks ago. Since then, nothing.
Per what I read, you have to be quick in adopting a tortoise; they seam to go fast.
Do I need a permit to adopt an Herman or Russian? At what age/size can we let them hibernate in the backyard? Is it safe here in So. Cal?
What about sulcata? They do not hibernate. Can they stay outside all winter long or do they have to go in?
I think I will have a hard time to find one now that it's winter time.
Any suggestion or help is welcome!
Thanks for reading :)

ctomaselli

5 Year Member
SoCal
Hi Tortue and welcome. There is a place out in Menifee called LLL Reptiles that may have them if you want to purchase one. I would also look at Kingsnake in their classified ads. I'm not sure if it is easy to find an adopted one but it took me about 2 weeks to find one and purchase it in the vicinity of southern California. I found someone who had hatchlings on Kingsnake that is in San Diego. Good lick with your search.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tortue:

Welcome to the forum!!

I really doubt you'll be able to find a Hermann through rescue and adoption. You're going to have to look for one for sale. Russians are a different story. They come up through the clubs and rescues all the time. The weather in SoCal is pretty nice year round, however, the Russian would probably want to hibernate through the winter. A sulcata doesn't hibernate, so you would have to heat his house during the winter. Its good that you've put your name on the waiting list at the CTTC. You probably will be called eventually. Just be patient.

May we know your name?

tortue

5 Year Member
Southern Calif.
ctomaselli said:
Hi Tortue and welcome. There is a place out in Menifee called LLL Reptiles that may have them if you want to purchase one. I would also look at Kingsnake in their classified ads. I'm not sure if it is easy to find an adopted one but it took me about 2 weeks to find one and purchase it in the vicinity of southern California. I found someone who had hatchlings on Kingsnake that is in San Diego. Good lick with your search.

Thanks for your tip! This is very kind of you. Indeed after doing some research, I realized that a CDT would be must easier to adopt and to find! I submitted a new application to the CTTC and went to one of the meeting. I spoke to the lady who answered emails. Very nice and knowledgeable. I became a member as well. And after our backyard inspection, we received our new little CDT Daisy!
I'm very surprised the whole process took such little time, but we are extremely happy.. and I believe very lucky too!
She is currently hibernating in her box, and we will meet her more next year.
She was very sleepy when Mary brought her to us; she barely moved, but as soon as she left, she roamed the backyard in every directions for a few hours. Very interesting!

We love her! Oh BTW, My name is Sandra. I have 3 little girls at home. Tortue is the French translation for Tortoise/Turtle...

ctomaselli

5 Year Member
SoCal
Congrats on your new family member Sandra. Hopefully you can get some pictures here so we can see her before she hibernates.

tobibaby

5 Year Member
SoCal
hello neighbor im from pasadena/arcadia area.. congrats on ur new tort.. parlez-vous francais?

tortue

5 Year Member
Southern Calif.
and another one Picture Daisy #2
tobibaby said:
hello neighbor im from pasadena/arcadia area.. congrats on ur new tort.. parlez-vous francais?

OUI!
I took 2 pictures the day we got her / just before she hibernated.
Her shell is about 11 inches long from front to bottom. Around 25 years old?
I need to find out how to post pictures now...

Daisy
ctomaselli said:
Congrats on your new family member Sandra. Hopefully you can get some pictures here so we can see her before she hibernates.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Congrats on adopting a CDT!! Welcome to TFO!! I have 5 CDT's, 4 hatchlings and an 18 year old named Daisy Lou! She is so much fun to interact with, you will love yours when you finally get to enjoy her in the spring.
:D Mary Anne

tortue

5 Year Member
Southern Calif.
Torty Mom said:
Congrats on adopting a CDT!! Welcome to TFO!! I have 5 CDT's, 4 hatchlings and an 18 year old named Daisy Lou! She is so much fun to interact with, you will love yours when you finally get to enjoy her in the spring.
:D Mary Anne

Awsome!! I'm not an expert but that seams to work. Click here for the pics! Picture of Daisy #2
and here:
Picture of Daisy #1

Status
Not open for further replies.