Looking to adopt in Central Florida

TysonC

Location (City and/or State)
Orlando
Hi there! First Responder dad looking to adopt a tort (or a few). We would prefer to adopt or rescue as opposed to buy, as we understand there are many medium and large species that owners can no longer provide care for.

I do have experience with animals, k9, aquarium keeper, koi, but I am new to torts. I have extensively researched most medium and large species and have the means and space to care for all but the biggest torts (1/3 acre total space including plantable garden beds).

I am adept at wood working and have built animal enclosures previously. Depending on the species and age of torts we adopt, I will build an appropriate outdoor space. If the torts are young I will build a tort table until they are of age and health to be moved outdoors.

Please let me know if you have any opportunities available. Torts in my care may eventually be brought to local schools for education.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi...don't just look for any old tortoise. Do a little research on each species and see what might be the best fit for you. Smaller tortoises and turtles also need homes...just my thinking...

TysonC

Orlando
Good point! We are primarily interested in Leopards, Red, and Yellow foot. While I believe we could home a Sulcata of medium size I believe it would be difficult to provide an escape proof enclosure for a 150lb tank/tort. I have dealt with one due to my career and recognize their strength vs most commonly used barrier materials even when installed two feet deep. Unfortunately, our municipality restricts digging beyond 24” without a permit, environmental impact survey, and a licensed general contractor to do the work.

I am certainly interested in smaller species and would never turn one down. We would simply need to be creative with the enclosure layouts to keep them separate.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Good point! We are primarily interested in Leopards, Red, and Yellow foot. While I believe we could home a Sulcata of medium size I believe it would be difficult to provide an escape proof enclosure for a 150lb tank/tort. I have dealt with one due to my career and recognize their strength vs most commonly used barrier materials even when installed two feet deep. Unfortunately, our municipality restricts digging beyond 24” without a permit, environmental impact survey, and a licensed general contractor to do the work.

I am certainly interested in smaller species and would never turn one down. We would simply need to be creative with the enclosure layouts to keep them separate.

That's what we all do. I have Sulcata and several pens I created. With you're talents creating habitats is fun work...good luck...

nightoff

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Florida
Are you still looking for a tort or torts? I have several redfoot hatchlings that will soon need good homes. I’m in the Ft Lauderdale area.