Looking to adopt in the California SFV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissyAmerica

5 Year Member
Hi everyone! I have been reading this forum for a few weeks now and feel that I am finally ready to adopt my first tortoise. My boyfriend has had a CDT since he was 11 years old (Charlie) who still lives at his mom's house. We have wanted to adopt a tortoise for a few years now but I knew they were a huge lifelong commitment so I needed to be sure we were ready!.... I was hoping to get some help from you guys as to which type of tortoise would be best for us. We currently live in a large apartment with 4 balcony's, however we have no yard. We are planning on purchasing a house within the next 3 years or so. I know I would want a hatchling since it would be living inside and on the patio's for the next few years but I want to make sure those are suitable living conditions for a hatchling. I am also concerned that when we finally do move into a house with a yard will the tort adapt well to suddenly living outside? Any advice onto what type of tortoise? ( I'm thinking Russian or CDT but am open to better suggestions). Also I would like to be pointed in the direction of where to adopt the tortoise. They sell the russians at the pet store but I am really wanting to adopt a tortoise and not purchase it for over $100! Thanks advance for your help! I'm sure when we finally bring one home I will be back here with a million more questions!
Thanks!!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
MissyAmerica said:
Hi everyone! I have been reading this forum for a few weeks now and feel that I am finally ready to adopt my first tortoise. My boyfriend has had a CDT since he was 11 years old (Charlie) who still lives at his mom's house. We have wanted to adopt a tortoise for a few years now but I knew they were a huge lifelong commitment so I needed to be sure we were ready!.... I was hoping to get some help from you guys as to which type of tortoise would be best for us. We currently live in a large apartment with 4 balcony's, however we have no yard. We are planning on purchasing a house within the next 3 years or so. I know I would want a hatchling since it would be living inside and on the patio's for the next few years but I want to make sure those are suitable living conditions for a hatchling. I am also concerned that when we finally do move into a house with a yard will the tort adapt well to suddenly living outside? Any advice onto what type of tortoise? ( I'm thinking Russian or CDT but am open to better suggestions). Also I would like to be pointed in the direction of where to adopt the tortoise. They sell the russians at the pet store but I am really wanting to adopt a tortoise and not purchase it for over $100! Thanks advance for your help! I'm sure when we finally bring one home I will be back here with a million more questions!
Thanks!!

Would that be San Fernando Valley?

MissyAmerica

5 Year Member
DeanS said:
MissyAmerica said:
Thanks!!

Yes.. Woodland Hills to be exact.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome, I would suggest your local CTTC chapter, they usually have tortoises to adopt out, and the membership fee is only 20 dollars a year. They don't charge to adopt the tortoises out, and I would reccomend a russian if you are living in an apartment, wait until you have a house to adopt out a CDT. and once again welcome.

MissyAmerica

5 Year Member
Thanks! I was leaning toward the Russians the whole time! I am so excited!

FYI I checked out the local tortoise rescue and it seems like a very long process. I am not opposed to going through them but if there is a quicker way to bring home a russian hatchling please let me know.. I am 2 seconds away from going to Petco and buying one right now but I would rather save the $100 to make a nice little space for him!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I am a member of the foothill cttc and I did not find it a very long process myself, just have to wait for one to appear to adopt. but you can always buy one from some of the breeders on here, if you do buy a petco one I would suggest a vet visit because they are usually loaded with parasites.

MissyAmerica

5 Year Member
Awwww sad I am looking to buy a tortoise that is parasite free :)... I just noticed the classified section... I am checking it out as we speak! I'm also going to fill out the adoption forms on the CTTC site. Thanks for the feedback!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Just a little siggestion about the CTTC it is best to join a chapter, go to the meetings and get to know the adoption person (the one in charge of adoptions for that chapter) I know mine quite well and she usually gives me a heads up when something is up for adoption, just a suggestion, happy hunting.

I forgot to mention craigslist is another good place to look.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi MissyAmerica: Welcome to the forum!!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
MissyAmerica said:
DeanS said:
MissyAmerica said:
Thanks!!

Yes.. Woodland Hills to be exact.

There's a shelter in Chatsworth on Plummer, just east of DeSoto and they get in small - medium torts regularly. Check with them...of course, CDTs require a permit...but check the shelters...you're also pretty close to the Agoura (county) shelter and the East Valley Shelter...Van Owen just West of the 405...good luck.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Hi Missy,

Welcome to the forum! :D

Just remember that pretty much any tortoise you get is going to require significant funds to set up and care for properly. Tortoises are not low-maintenance pets (except for the CDT's that live in your back yard).... Lights, heaters, substrate, hides, food, calcium, and vet bills are all part and parcel of the whole Chelonian package. ;)

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Welcome to the forum!! I found my Russian's breeder on the Kingsnake website's classified ads. There should be Russian hatchlings available in the upcoming months.
Of course, I would always recommend going through a rescue if you could :)

M

Maggie Cummings

MissyAmerica said:
Thanks! I was leaning toward the Russians the whole time! I am so excited!

FYI I checked out the local tortoise rescue and it seems like a very long process. I am not opposed to going through them but if there is a quicker way to bring home a russian hatchling please let me know.. I am 2 seconds away from going to Petco and buying one right now but I would rather save the $100 to make a nice little space for him!

I would not suggest a hatchling for you as you are relatively inexperienced and hatchlings are very fragile and they can slip downward quickly. An older yearling or a young tortoise would be better for you IMHO. I am not trying to be mean, just practical and experienced with so many newbies coming here and asking us to help a dying hatchling. So please just consider what I have said.

Status
Not open for further replies.