Looking to adopt Sulcatta, red foot , or yellowfoot tortoise

Matt Lopez

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South San Antonio , TX Area
Hello,
I am looking to give a few shell babies a great forever home in the south San Antonio area. I am 28 and have had a fascination with tortoises my entire life. I have experience with 3 species of tortoise. The yellow foot, red foot, and sulcatta. Currently I have a large male sulcatta, a female red foot and yellow foot tortoise. (Separate enclosures) Over the last winter I lost my old guy a male yellow foot of an unknown age. He had been rehomed multiple times very timid; but I had him for 3 years. He was fully grown and healthy I can only hope he passed from old age as he was in the hide where he always slept for the night. (heated and insulated) My female red foot is going on 6 years old and the female yellow foot is an unknown age as well as I adopted both the male and female from the same person. My BIG guy tank is also a rehome and he is the most recent of my shelled family. I have had him almost a year and with the loss of my yellow foot and with the huge work I put into re seeding my nearly 2 acres to accommodate the sulcattas. I feel that I am ready to take on a few more. I have the time and resources to put into their care and I enjoy building new enclosures whenever the chance comes. My largest enclosure I fully insulated it with over 1 1/2 inches of the white styrofoam paneling and half inch plywood inner and outer walls with the roof being insulated the same. The outside is further protected with white tin siding and roof to help it not get too hot in the summer months. I appreciate the time you took to read this and look forward to hearing from anyone who needs a good home for their tort.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That sure is a good-looking sulcata, Matt. Welcome to the Forum! You probably already know this, but I feel I would be remiss in not saying it - chances are you won't be able to add another sulcata to your existing sulcata yard without a lot of fighting. They are pretty territorial. You see groups of them living together, but usually all these were put into the tortoise yard at the same time, so no one tortoise had laid claim to the territory. Go ahead and give it a try, but be very sharp about watching them to make sure they are going to peacefully coexist. You have plenty of space if you have to fence off a portion for another sulcata yard.

Matt Lopez

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South San Antonio , TX Area
That sure is a good-looking sulcata, Matt. Welcome to the Forum! You probably already know this, but I feel I would be remiss in not saying it - chances are you won't be able to add another sulcata to your existing sulcata yard without a lot of fighting. They are pretty territorial. You see groups of them living together, but usually all these were put into the tortoise yard at the same time, so no one tortoise had laid claim to the territory. Go ahead and give it a try, but be very sharp about watching them to make sure they are going to peacefully coexist. You have plenty of space if you have to fence off a portion for another sulcata yard.

Yes Ma'am I plan on building separate enclosures if the need should arise. I have a trencher and back hoe to dig down 18 inches for an underground wall then build an above ground wall with railroad tie base and hog panel along the top. I have planted a few mulberry trees in my best locations for future enclosures as well. I have an acre and a half of unworked land as well that I may seed and start grooming in to even more areas for my torts.

Laurie tortoise

I have a large Sulcata. I've had him since 99 or so. I bought him for my son as a hatchling. I have the room where I live but not fenced. I'm concerned about other wildlife as well. Thinking about finding him another home as an option. Winters can be rough here at times and that is also a concern.

Laurie tortoise

I'm in Washington. I realize you're in Texas. I'm thinking he would be better in a continuously warm climate. In winter I have him in a shed with heat lamps and artificial lighting. He's kind of forced into a hibernation. This last winter was warmer so he wasn't asleep as much. I'm still discussing with my family. I know a major problem is logistics.