Looking to buy a well started hatchling sulcata

FatThor420

Location (City and/or State)
Morton
Hi, im looking to purchase to my very first sulcata hopefully by the end of the year. I was told by a fellow member of this forum to post here and to mention a @Tom @Yvonne G. I dont have an exact date for when im buying one, right now im trying to figure out how much its gonna cost to get me the tortoise so i can factor it into my budget

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Factor in the size they get in a short time. In about 3-4 years it will be big enough to live outside if raised right.
The cost of the tortoise is almost the cheapest thing you will be spending money on.
If you dont have outdoor space then consider a small species. Larger sulcatas are not that easy to rehome/sell.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Factor in the size they get in a short time. In about 3-4 years it will be big enough to live outside if raised right.
The cost of the tortoise is almost the cheapest thing you will be spending money on.
If you dont have outdoor space then consider a small species. Larger sulcatas are not that easy to rehome/sell.
One year. One year until they are big enough to live outside.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, im looking to purchase to my very first sulcata hopefully by the end of the year. I was told by a fellow member of this forum to post here and to mention a @Tom @Yvonne G. I dont have an exact date for when im buying one, right now im trying to figure out how much its gonna cost to get me the tortoise so i can factor it into my budget
I share Mark's recommendation. @NorCal tortoise guy. I'm shipping out the last of my Sudan sulcata babies on Tuesday. Soonest I'd have any more would be spring time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
One year. One year until they are big enough to live outside.
Yea not sure what I was thinking. Its 3 years maybe four for a leopard. A sulcata would for sure be sooner, but sure didn't think only one year. So many on here at a year don't look big enough.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
whats the longest you can keep a sulcata indoors? to what age
With a large enough enclosure and the correct heating and lighting, you could keep them inside their whole life.

For people in favorable climates, I usually recommend moving them outside at 8-10 inches. This takes about one year for a well started baby that is housed, hydrated, and fed correctly. It can take two or three years in some cases.

Where is Morton?

FatThor420

Morton
With a large enough enclosure and the correct heating and lighting, you could keep them inside their whole life.

For people in favorable climates, I usually recommend moving them outside at 8-10 inches. This takes about one year for a well started baby that is housed, hydrated, and fed correctly. It can take two or three years in some cases.

Where is Morton?
Morton is in central illinois. Which is where i currently live. I plan on moving down to florida eventually. Which is where i would do outside. At least all year round outside. I could probably do summer outside for my tort here since it stays pretty warm out? But i honestly dont know. I just wanna make sure that in the worst case scenario (that it takes me a bit longer to get to florida then i plan) i wanna make sure i can still take care of my tort inside, at least for the winter time. I live in a 2 Bedroom duplex right now, and i can dedicate a whole bedroom to my tort. The bedroom is at least a 10ft by 10ft. Would that be doable you think?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Morton is in central illinois. Which is where i currently live. I plan on moving down to florida eventually. Which is where i would do outside. At least all year round outside. I could probably do summer outside for my tort here since it stays pretty warm out? But i honestly dont know. I just wanna make sure that in the worst case scenario (that it takes me a bit longer to get to florida then i plan) i wanna make sure i can still take care of my tort inside, at least for the winter time. I live in a 2 Bedroom duplex right now, and i can dedicate a whole bedroom to my tort. The bedroom is at least a 10ft by 10ft. Would that be doable you think?
10x10 will be too small for a well started baby after about 12-18 months. I have them outside in a 30x30 at that size and age.

I'd wait until you get to FL to buy a giant. Life has a way of thwarting our best laid plans. You will be able to find 10 free ones once you get down there. Get a much smaller species that can more easily be maintained over the winter months in your climate, and then take that to FL whenever you go.

I can't even count the number of good members here from the frozen north that come on posting strong and showing how amazing their baby sulcata is, then is goes quiet for a few months, then they are back here trying to re-home their tortoise. A conscientious tortoise owner eventually realizes the difficulty, if not impossibility, of keeping a tropical giant with enormous space requirements in the frozen north.