Looking to own a tort soon.. Any Advice!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anm1221

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hi, my name is Ashlynn, some of you have had contact with me before but i stopped getting on here for a while but hey! now i'm back!

I've been looking to own a little fella of my own for a long time Now, I adore tortoises and turtles and have always wanted one. I always get on this tick where for about 3 weeks i do nothing but research and look around at videos, pictures, articles, and care for tortoises because I really want one and then i stop but i always come back. I usually stop because I know i need to save money to buy one along with the proper care and i believe that I need to research more. However i always get right back to it within like 2 weeks and I Think I really need to take the step and get one. so I'm here to ask for some advice.

As for right now I can only handle one of the small species of tortoise because i live with room mates and do not have a house of my own so i can not allow the little guy to go roaming the house whenever he/she pleases. i would really like some advice on cost for everything.. I also Live in Maryland and our weather is not always the best We have some really bad winters and harsh summers and lately we barely have a fall or spring it just skips right into the next season any one who doesnt know maryland climate, look it up. I'm also unsure of where to buy and aquire one. i know there are online stores, however i dealt with turteshack before and bought 3 baby red ear sliders and they died within a month (ALL OF THEM) which made me really sad. I Love turtles and tortoises and look forward to the time when I have my own house so that I can have my big aquarium tanks with some turtles and my own tortoise tables and enclosures so that i may have some of my own but for now im not that great on space so i'm looking to get one and start off small and shower some lucky little guy with love. and I want to know everything i can that way I can know what expenses will need covering and suplies that work best and such and so on.

Vitality

5 Year Member
Creat a habitat with correct temperatures, substrate, and every necessity your tort needs instead of getting everything at once. You gotta be an expert your self about your own specific tort. Once you get him or her you should just offer food daily and leave it be. Let the tort adjust to its new environment. After that long process then can u socialize with your tort and let it know that you provide it food and not their to eat it haha. Its a joy full experience.

anm1221

5 Year Member
Maryland
lol thanks for the advice. it seems like a very joyous experience.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Cost is subjective but i'll give it a go.

Large rubbermaid container - 20 bucks
MVB - 40-60 depending on where you get it
Light fixture - 30 (2 X 15 a piece, you need one for nighttime) buy a ceramic one, not plastic
CHE - 20
Substrate, bowls, etc - 20 bucks
Indoor/outdoor thermometer - 25
Theremostat for CHE - 15
Humidifer - 30 ( depending on species, you might not need it )
Scale - 10 or so (always good to monitor growth imo)

There's always more you can buy and some of the above mentioned things are not necessary right off the bat but very nice to have. Shop on Amazon and go to Harbor Freight for the scale.

Oh and my list is a very rough estimate, most things will vary.

Most people here end up with several of each of the above and then some. I know I have all kinds of extra stuff.

jeffstort

5 Year Member
You should start out with a russian tort they have lots of personality and stay small

anm1221

5 Year Member
Maryland
Thanks for the Advice and yea many people have told me to set up everything first and then get a tort. And thanks jeff! I've been told a russian is the perfect place to start off with

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First of all, how much space do you have for an enclosure, and will you be able to provide your tortoise with some sort of outdoor enclosure in addition to a large indoor one?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
check with your room mates... do they have dogs?
If you get a Russian, they need bigger then a plastic tote.. that could raise the cost or you can search for a used bookcase...

outside time is important..

anm1221

5 Year Member
Maryland
i have a good decent sized space for now while it is young i will be moving possibly soon but no we dont have a dog. my dad wants to get me a tortoise for a present so I am trying to find a good breeder and or online store to buy from since i live in maryland and have not been able to find a reputable pet store that sells torts

Status
Not open for further replies.