Los Angeles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynard

5 Year Member
Hello There!

My name is Linn and I live in Los Angeles. I have one Sulcata Tortoise named Oscar. I got him when he was a baby and I was 18 and he is now 13 years old. He has a large yard and plenty of grass and goodies to eat out of it.

Im currently getting on this forum as I am starting to look for a partner for him. He is 13 years old and I think its been too long he's been alone. Very healthy and friendly guy, I just want to make him happy.

If anyone knows of a similarly aged female sulcata available I would love to hear from them. I really do not have the 800 and up as Ive seen some online people selling theirs. I would like to find a rescue or someone that needs a good home for theirs for whatever reason.

Anyways. Im glad I've finally signed up here. :)

Thanks!
Linn

Attachments

• IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 19

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Another CA person with a sulcata! The last couple of days, a lot of you have been joining. That's just great!

Do you have room for two sulcatas? I am also sure, your going to be getting several folks reminding you that tortoises are often solitary animals in the wild, so they really don't need buddies or mates to be content. :cool:

I would hate to have any sulcata eggs hatch, they are just too cute and I would want to keep them all. :D Good luck with finding a female.

Welcome!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Welcome to the forum!!!

I hate to be a downer, but - your tortoise does not "need" a buddy. He is perfectly fine by himself. He can literally breed a female to death, biting, flipping, etc. You also need a quarantine period of several months when adding a new tortoise.

In the end, it is your decision, but please do a bit more research, on the forum and on the web. Good luck with whatever you decide!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am going to reinforce what jaqui said. As always it is your choice but they don't need a friend, they often view them as competition for food, and basking. and males can be quite ruthless when pursuing female. Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy it, even after everything I said.

moswen

5 Year Member
welcome lynard!

ditto dmmj, kristina, and jacqui. tortoises are just solitary animals, and you really should NOT keep a 1.1 pair of anything, the female will really suffer in that relationship. females do not have a season in which they become fertile... they are always fertile, because they live solitarily in the wild, and they do not call for a mate or any of that such nonsense... so the male will do nothing but torment the female by mentally and physically bullying her and trying to mate with her every time he sees her. do what makes you happy, but if YOU need a new tort, i would not suggest another sulcata!

and may i say, what a beautiful and healthy looking sully you have!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Linn:

Welcome to the forum!!

I'd just like to reinforce what's already been said, as I agree whole heartedly!

Another thing to think about: If you DO manage to find a female for him, and he breeds her (gets the taste for it), then decide its not working out and separate her from him, he's going to be one unhappy camper. When I found a new home for the female that was with my male, he almost destroyed his habitat. If you can put the word "angry" in the same sentence with a tortoise, that's how he looked for a couple of months. He went off his feed, tried to break down the fences, pouted in a corner, etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome to the forum. Very glad you found us. I thought it would be easy to find a nice female or two also. I'd heard that there were so many unwanted sulcatas out there that needed homes. Well the reality is, not so much. There are free males available from time to time, but females are like GOLD and scarce as hens teeth. They only very rarely turn up and there are a whole lot of us that would really like to give them good homes. So get in line!!! haha. Just kidding.

I can also tell you from personal experience AND the experiences of many friends and cohorts that one male and one female in a back yard sized area is a recipe for disaster and will likely, either sooner or later, result in the death of the female. If you are going to do it, you'll need a much larger area and several females. The problem with this is, you'll have your own sulcata factory and dozens of babies to find homes for every year.

Nobody is trying to pee on your parade, we are just trying to save you from having to learn the hard way. The way some of us learned the things we are telling you.

I'd love to see more pics of your big boy and his yard. What do you feed him? I'm always looking for new suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.