Losing color on Redfoot

Si00z24

Does anyone know what can cause the red scales on my redfoots arms to fade too almost a white color?

My guess would be it has something to do with vitamins/diet or uv light (which he does have). But would like to correct as soon as possible

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418830950.948115.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's really too bad that has to happen, but I'm afraid it's just normal. I'd love it if they could stay as vivid as they are when babies.

The bird people use supplements to color their birds, but I really doubt something like that would work on tortoises. Just give him the best, most healthy diet you can, and hopefully he won't fade too much.

http://birdtee.com/Colorfeeding.htm

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I notice that only the parts that touch/scrape the ground are discolored. Are you sure that it's not some dirt or dust? Have you wiped the area with a wet paper towel? Mine have faded a little with age, but it's all over and not just in selected areas. Is he walking on sand or cement? Something extremely abrasive?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I notice that only the parts that touch/scrape the ground are discolored. Are you sure that it's not some dirt or dust? Have you wiped the area with a wet paper towel? Mine have faded a little with age, but it's all over and not just in selected areas. Is he walking on sand or cement? Something extremely abrasive?

I had a similar experience. Try getting a soft-bristled toothbrush and scrubbing them lightly with some water.
Personally, I don't do this to my torts anymore, I just let them be dirty. They seem less stressed about things that way.

Si00z24

Nothing abrasive that he walks on. Just coconut coir. My thought was maybe it was from too much moisture in the substrate (battling a little of bit a fungus by his tail). It's such a fine line between high humidity and too much moisture in the soil! The fading is really only on his two front arms, back legs seem fine to me.

Yvonne - thank you for the info I will be able to worry a little less about the little guy.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Si00z24, You want high humidity and dry soil. Most of us have achieved this. I use a layer of orchid bark and cover it with a layer of potting soil. If you pour water in a corner, the bark will absorb the moisture and it leaves the soil dry. The effect is nice, high humidity and the tort doesn't come into contact with dampness. Also, you'll need to cover most of the top to keep the humidity in there.

Kristie8888

I feed mine salmon and his color has actually gotten more pronounced then it was as a youngster. Just remember that meat should be very limited but when it's due I stick to Salmon. Couldn't hurt to give it a try... Might take some time to see any results if it works.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Nothing abrasive that he walks on. Just coconut coir. My thought was maybe it was from too much moisture in the substrate (battling a little of bit a fungus by his tail). It's such a fine line between high humidity and too much moisture in the soil! The fading is really only on his two front arms, back legs seem fine to me.

It could very well be a bit of fungus on his front legs if he's battling it elsewhere. My first tortoise had this before I joined the forum and learned about it. Just use some of the cream on them and see if it clears up.