Loss of appetite and burying

Dadforhire

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I’ve had my first Russian tortoise Hector for less than a year and he’s had a loss of appetite recently and is burying himself all day. I’ve been waking him up for soaks and showing him his food but he’s barely eaten. I don’t see any signs of him being sick right now. I think he’s about two years old maybe less. Is this normal or am I overreacting?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Double check all heating and lighting. A lot of Russians are doing the same thing. Getting close to brumating/hibernating time.
If you don't brumate him, which is not highly recommended unless you have had him a full year to know for sure he is healthy to do so, then be sure his enclosure is bright and lights on 12 hours.
Keep doing the soaking and placing in front of food.
My much older Russian does not brumate and he does the same thing off and on all winter.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Burrowing is normal. If persistent it can be that it does not feel safe have you got plants and cover. Eating can be a concern so start a weekly weight log using digital scales and then you can monitor weight loss and gain. Try adding weeds like a dandelion flower head to temp him. Also soak in a high sided container to ensure he is hydrated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is the time of year that tortoises start thinking about brumating. They slow down eating, or even stop altogether. If your tortoise came from a pet shop chances are good he's wild caught and his body is still tuned in to when he was living in the wild. If you don't want him to brumate (hibernate) you'll have to be sure to keep the enclosure warm, night and day, keep the lights on for 12 or 13 hours a day. Some tortoises are very hard to keep up during the winter. Yours may be one of them.

Dadforhire

Georgia
Burrowing is normal. If persistent it can be that it does not feel safe have you got plants and cover. Eating can be a concern so start a weekly weight log using digital scales and then you can monitor weight loss and gain. Try adding weeds like a dandelion flower head to temp him. Also soak in a high sided container to ensure he is hydrated.
He ate a good bit yesterday! He has cover, rocks and plants. I’ll invest in getting a scale to measure him.