Loss of appetite post-RI

WonderKitteh

Hello.
I have 2 redfoot tortoises around 4-6 months old according to the vet. 5 days ago we noticed one of the tortoises Redfield has swollen eyes on both side of her eyes and she couldn't open them unless I soak her first.

I then had her quarantined in a separate enclosure and the next day brought her to the exotic pets vet. She said it may be an early onset of RI as there is no nasal discharge, bubbles around the nostrils or gasping for air. She recommended supportive treatment: warm and humid environment. Got her on chloramphenicol twice daily and multivitamin warm soak daily

Day 5 today: her eyes are less swollen. She could open them. She seems to have irritation in the eyes as she would wipe her eyes with her 'arms' both in the garden and her indoor enclosure. Active in the garden (i have made a temporary enclosure while the permanent outdoor enclosure are being made). She is out there for an hour with plenty of shade, twice daily if weather permits with close supervision.

Parameters:
Temperature: Day - 88F, Night 86F with average humidity of 85% min 75% max 90% or more (i find that having multiple small saucers in the enclosure will raise the humidity and keep the substrate dry without having to use plastic covering) CHE used at night with thermostat to keep a constant 86F. I have also bought digital probe thermometer and hygrometer for a more accurate reading (while keeping my aquarium thermometer in the same place to check the accuracy). Substrate change and all the saucers, plastic quarantine tub sterilised every other day.
This is my set up (for the main indoor enclosure - not her plastic quarantine tub) with a few improvements since http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/158861/

I am here because I am worried about her food intake. She'd not eat for a day and eat only a tiny portion of hibiscus leaf and nothing else for the next day. Third day - tiny portion of food again. I tried the carrot pumpkin baby food soak in the evenings. The mornings - multivitamin soak. I do understand that during recuperation, tortoises do not eat much. Also she may have drank the multivitamin and the babyfood soak, not to mention a bit of weeds while outside.

Can she go on with just the soaks as the main food intake? What is the warning signals to bring her back to the vet - so far there are no other symptoms of RI. And she is improving - in terms of symptoms and overall wellbeing. Just loss of appetite. I'd also appreciate it if you could suggest a recipe for her. She loves hibiscus and grape leaves the best before this. She tolerates a tiny amount of those baby food when I hand feed her with plastic spoon.

Thank you so much.

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Only a suggestion: You write that you change the substrate and sterilize things in her enclosure every other day.
Torts don`t like these changes. It makes them shy when the enclosure every other day smells new. The smell of the sterilized things can also irritate the tort.
I would not do that ( changing the substrate ).
When she rubbed her eyes the eyes can be infected with bacterias. Ask the VET for an antibiotic eye ointment.
Keep temps and humidity high. She should start to eat better in less than a week. Otherwise I would take her to the VET again.
Good luck !

WonderKitteh

Hi. Thank you. Yes. I do see how she is stressed out after cleaning up her quarantined enclosure. So I don't do that anymore. She has completed the course of antibiotics eyedrops.
Temperature warm humidity high constantly as mentioned above.
Day 9: the swollen eyes has gone down. More appetite especially after exercise and a good soak :) very relieved.

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Hi. Thank you. Yes. I do see how she is stressed out after cleaning up her quarantined enclosure. So I don't do that anymore. She has completed the course of antibiotics eyedrops.
Temperature warm humidity high constantly as mentioned above.
Day 9: the swollen eyes has gone down. More appetite especially after exercise and a good soak :) very relieved.

That sounds to me as she is on the way for recovery ! Great ! I am glad to hear that.
Please keep us updated with her progress.:tort:

WonderKitteh

Hello.
Day 11: She's gaining her appetite. Very curious and active. I can't believe how happy I am at seeing her up and about again. Thanks for reading this :)