Lost 2 Three toed box turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Worcester, MA
Hello,

This is breaking my heart, something got both of my adult, over 20 years, three toed box turtles. They were both in an outdoor enclosure using cinder blocks, they could not climb over nor burrow under. I was hoping they were hiding really well, but they always came out when I changes their water, I change their water daily and it has not been touched in over week. I have finally faced the fact they are gone.

The yard is surrounded by a 6 foot fence, so I do not know what could have taken them. I need some ideas, to understand what I did wrong.

I live in Worcester, MA but my back yard is conservation area. I have only seen skunks and foxes in the conservation area. We have 2 dogs who are very protective of the yard and they never barked.

What could have taken my girls?

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
They may have climbed out does the wall have an overhang to the inside? Box turtles are very good climbers. Though just so you know a 6 foot fence isn't going to stop foxes the can climb very well.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Wow....a conservation area right up to your property....are there any shrubs, trees or anything that can be used as a climbing aid....have you put out any yummy smelly food for them? What are your temps where you are?? Have they ever gone MIA before? They are adults right? Does anyone near you know that you have them? Could a neighbor have lifted them? Do your dogs normally bark at the skunks or foxes?

I sure hope you locate them.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
If there are places that they could dig or hide in, get down on your hands and knees and crawl all over the enclosure and yard. Look under every shrub. If the nights are cool they could have dug under and would so this under a shrub. Mine will dig under shrubs and somehow replace the soil and you would never know they were there. They best way to search is on ground level, so go on your knees and just crawl all over. Good luck...I feel and understand your sadness.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I always look first thing in the morning when they come out to warm themselves. Try a light spray of water too - to see if they might still be in there. Good luck!

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Thank you all for your help. I'm going under the idea that they escaped andf I will keep looking, because facign their loss is too much for me to bear right now.

I have 2 water bowls that I change daily just in case they are still around. I check the yard every morning and evening, they were most active at dawn and dusk so I figure that is the best time to see them if they are still around. I tell the local kids if they see them bring them to me night or day.

If they are still alive I will find them.

Our dogs normally bark at everything, they are 15 pound very alert guard dogs. So no people, skunks, woodchucks or foxes get hear the house without them barking.
My neighbor told me that it might be a Fisher cat, they are stealthy, quick and mean. Are nocturnal and he heard one a few moths ago in the conservation area. right now that is my biggest fear.

They have never escaped before, last year my son took one out and forgot to replace her. She ended up sitting outside her enclosure waiting to be fed.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Mine use to climb plants and jump the wall or bury themselves completely. Hope you find those little guys

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I don't think a predator took them. It would have to be big enough to carry a box turtle in it's mouth and either climb or jump your fence. Most predators might get a leg, but I think very few are killed by predators. I would be thinking in the direction of a two legged one. Escape seems unlikely for TWO at once, unless there was some new way out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I sure hope you find them. Hopefully they buried in and just decide not to come out yet.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
yagyujubei said:
I don't think a predator took them. It would have to be big enough to carry a box turtle in it's mouth and either climb or jump your fence. Most predators might get a leg, but I think very few are killed by predators. I would be thinking in the direction of a two legged one. Escape seems unlikely for TWO at once, unless there was some new way out.

I agree, with the exception of a raccoon, they might take off with them. I doubt they would have both suddenly escaped.

Any kids roam the neighborhood?

Steve

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I find it unlikely that one animal got both or they both escaped together. Do you have a gardener or any workers (meter reader) who have been at the house and knew you had them? Or kids in the neighborhood who knew. You could go door to door and tell neighbors there is a reward for them. I really hope you find them. Maybe if it's been really hot they really buried themselves. I'm just brainstorming here.
I wonder if you put tuna out, if they would come running?

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
No one could enter the yard unless they jumped the fence. The gate is baricated to prevent the dogs from escaping.

As for tuna, I've never fed them tuna. Bananas, tomatoes and parrot pellets are their favorites. They eat their veggie salad but not if there are bananas, tomatoes or parrot pellets.

I'm afraid to leave any food out unattended, it might attract pests. I will be home the next couple of days and I will be putting out bowls of smelly food and watch to see who comes.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I have no idea if they can eat tuna. I just thought the smell would attract them out.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
I guess it's too late to look for foot/paw prints ?

If you don't have a good pic of one of them, get a good pic online and put up some missing/reward posters to put up in your neighborhood. If kids or someone took them, maybe they will step up and claim they "found" them to get the reward money. How you handle it then, I don't know, but at least you would get them back.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
The enclosure and the area next to it is filled with leafs and grass. There were no footprints found. I am 100% sure because when I enter the area, I go in with my hands and knees to check on them.

I have lost posters in the area, but maybe reward posters would be better.

I have very good pictures of both of them. I love to photograph them.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Well, I found one of my Three toed box turtles. She was sitting in the corner of my yard sunning herself. Once I saw her she walked over to me. Very strange.

I have to rebuild the enclosure, I believe they use a hosta to use as a latter. I transplanted it to the center of the enclosure and now I am installing an overhang in case the did scale the concrete.

Thank you all for your encouragement and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.