Lost 20 grams and very active

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Recently I cleaned out Sheldon's enclosure completely. Took ALL the coco coir out, scrubbed it, disinfected it, and put in all fresh stuff.

Ever since then he hasn't stopped moving. Hasn't lost his appetite but he dropped about 20 grams and he won't stop SCRATCHING EVERYTHING.

... is this how he's normally supposed to act? It took me a while to get him to a healthy weight so I don't know if I should just feed him more to keep him there, or let him run and go on as normal.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I believe that's normal behavior. Any time there's a change in environment, torts seem to get all hot and bothered. I'd say give him some time to get used to his surroundings again and he'll start settling back down into his normal routine. But then again, what did you disinfect the enclosure with? Maybe there's a smell that's bugging him. See what others have to say.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Twenty grams is less than 1 ounce and is far less than the weight of a pee or a poop.

If you must weigh your tortoise, try to do it no more frequently than once a fortnight and always do it at roughly the same time of day each time.

Just like you, your tort's weight varies throughout the day as he eats, moves, pees and poops.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
I weigh him weekly and he never varies by more than 5 grams. Every morning he is between 355 and 360. This morning he was 340. Considering 319 was his weight when he was worm-infested, I'm not exactly thrilled.

The enclosure was cleaned out with a few sprays of vinegar and alcohol, and then lots of cleanings with fresh water to get the smell out. Then it sat outside drying for a long time.

He is also this active outside, which he wasn't before. He's just suddenly GOING EVERYWHERE. Hopefully it's just the clean dirt.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Give him time to settle down. Check there's nothing in the new coir that can cause irritation (Do you still have the bag to check there is nothing else in it?)

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
Give him time to settle down. Check there's nothing in the new coir that can cause irritation (Do you still have the bag to check there is nothing else in it?)

Good idea. I still had the bags in the garage. Nothing strange. Regular 'ol coco coir. I think you're right and he needs a minute. It's just so easy to hyperventilate over him.

Thank you for being nice and replying. I don't know what I'd do without you all.

saberfire06

5 Year Member
Hampton, VA
I actually cleaned out Dante's tank this afternoon and he acts the same way. He will go a bit crazy for a few days before settling back into the same routine he always has.

I moved one of his hides and added a bit of repti-bark(a new substrate for him) so hes not to sure what to think at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.