Lost 20 lb sulcata.

Masin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
Our big guy escaped yesterday. We live in Havana Fl, in the south side that borders Tallahassee. Luckily the weather has warmed a bit but still. Absolutely heartbroken. If you guys could help spread the word we would appreciate it. I've attached an image of our baby. Gosh we hope we find him soon. ImageUploadedByTortForum1386273043.714466.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1386272999.937768.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1386272999.937768.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 382
Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be sure to put up flyers and contact the veterinarians and any animal shelters close to your area. Also, when the sun first comes up in the morning, go looking for him. He will be put then trying to find sun to warm up.
So, sorry, fingers crossed you find him. Good luck, keep us updated.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I would also be looking anywhere the sun is shinning. You might find him basking.
Please don't give up looking. It can take days or much longer to spot him. He could be very close to you.
Good luck!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Leave your gate open and put down food. Sometimes a animal will come home to eat . Hope everything turns out . Go talk to your neighbors he may be over threre eating there rose bush .

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Look for a burrow. Sometimes they make a burrow and you do not know it and that is where they are. Happened to my neighbor. Under a back shed. Started from the side back where you could not easily see. Clear across the shed, down the middle. The tunnel was like 12 feet long. Had to throw a hose in there to get him to come out. After weeks of looking, he was on the property all along, there. Happy surprise! Hope you find your baby soon.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Oh no, I can't believe it! I was gonna contact you about seeing your baby a few weeks ago. We were there for a conference . Buy, things got crazy, I wasn't feeling well, and I had my little other rescue with me since she was sick, and I needed to hand feed her.

You need to check under piles of leaves, shrubs, piles of things near or around your property. Call out to him and put a heat lamp out for him. Like Barb said, torts tend to find sun to warm them us. You must find him!!! It's getting cold there Friday and tonight too. Please keep me posted. Talk to your neighbors too.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Thank you all so much. We are surrounded by pine forest so it's hard to get in there and feel confident that you looked at every possible inch. But we're trying. Today was so overcast and misty I was afraid he wouldn't come out to sun, finally the sun came out for him wherever he is.
We contacted all of the local vet hospitals (luckily my partner is a vet at a hospital here that works closely with a wildlife sanctuary and rehab. ...which is how we came about owning this guy in the first place!) We have also planned to stuff every mailbox we can tomorrow with a missing flyer as well as put up big signs. I really hope we find him. It's a needle in a haystack sort of feeling thanks to the forest. We did go to every neighbor and ask to walk their properties, today we covered our one neighbors 50 acres but feel like we didn't make a dent. I found a spot at a fence in our yard I believe he got under, it's hard to tell if he did since we don't see any dig marks from his legs though. We did find a nice big tortsie poop right near it though (on our side of the fence.)
I'm kicking my self in the butt for not checking on him every second or doing a more thorough perimeter check. Hindsight is hard :( I'm just heart broken.
Out yard is large but cleared mostly pine trees so we can see for a good ways. We walked it and walked it but haven't turned up anything yet. He usually always snuck under the porch and went to this one spot if we didn't catch him in time at night, I keep checking it hoping he came to it, but no :( He went missing during a routine stent outside, he usually checks the fences out and wanders aimlessly, but this time something else happened. I've never seen him burrow before so I will keep a closer look out for a burrow tomorrow. I hope that's the case. We all miss him so much. I will keep you posted.
Please keep your eyes peeled. I'm hoping someone spots him but have a fear that he's on someones million acres and they have no idea. I'm so worried about our guy. Thank you all for your concern. We will keep you posted!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Post on Craigslist maybe. Also, if you haven't, maybe make another thread in the regional section here on the forum. I'd be sick. I'm so sorry this has happened. When my russians are out in there pen during the good months, I go out and do head counts at least twice a day because although the pen is secure, I'm paranoid of just this same thing happening.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Cowboy_Ken said:
Post on Craigslist maybe. Also, if you haven't, maybe make another thread in the regional section here on the forum. I'd be sick. I'm so sorry this has happened. When my russians are out in there pen during the good months, I go out and do head counts at least twice a day because although the pen is secure, I'm paranoid of just this same thing happening.

I did! And I've posted on the lost and found facebook page for my area, and this sites facebook page too. I've asked everyone I know to share the info as well. And I hear you, I'm so so paranoid and sure enough, something happens within those gaps of time. I could just die. I'm so worried that he's hunkered down someplace. Heck, the woods seem a lot better than our wide open space I guess. When we do find him I am making the fort knox of enclosures...if he ever gets let out again!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Check that porch. He may have burrowed around there if that was a favorite spot for him to go to. Hoping he is found.

Thank you! Luckily we have a pine tree forest sort of yard, ours is really open but contains 100+ pine trees that have all dropped their needles for the season. I'm hoping the blanket of unraked pine needles will make it easier to see if he's burrowed or not.
The section of the fence I found seems possible but I can't get over how there are no dig marks on either side of the fence. You figured with the ground being soft and damp that one of his feet at least would make a dig mark as he pulled himself under.
Who knows. I hope he turns up soon :( Worried sick :(

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Just got an anonymous call that our tortoise was in a cage in this persons backyard. The person said her neighbor picked him up here and transported him 40 minutes into another town. I panicked and did the drive at this house only to get there with the sheriff and learn that this anonymous caller skims craigslist and the lost facebook page for my area and calls every family that posts and tells them her neighbor has the animal...I had such a broken heart that I fell for this crazy persons lie. I feel worse now than I did before this all, and I didn't think that was possible! I wish this nightmare were over :(!!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Ugh.. I'm so sorry for what you are going though. And that person needs their *** kicked for doing that to you!! I hope this story ends up with a very happy ending. I wish you the best. I know my heart would be broke if I lost my Cooper!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry you had this mean, dirty trick pulled on you, the sicko. But don't give up. We are all rooting for you and his return. Keep looking and keep the hope. Many have that have been lost on this forum has also been found. He will be too.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Masin said:
Just got an anonymous call that our tortoise was in a cage in this persons backyard. The person said her neighbor picked him up here and transported him 40 minutes into another town. I panicked and did the drive at this house only to get there with the sheriff and learn that this anonymous caller skims craigslist and the lost facebook page for my area and calls every family that posts and tells them her neighbor has the animal...I had such a broken heart that I fell for this crazy persons lie. I feel worse now than I did before this all, and I didn't think that was possible! I wish this nightmare were over :(!!

OMG how awful!! Wth is wrong with people?! I'm really sorry this happened to you and I hope you find your tort soon.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Elohi said:
Masin said:

OMG how awful!! Wth is wrong with people?! I'm really sorry this happened to you and I hope you find your tort soon.

I know....this person will NOT stop calling! She refuses to give us her number and is simply repeating the ad we placed on the lost & found page. She saw me drive up to the house, saw the cops etc and wants to know why we didn't get our tortoise. She swears it's there and that it's in the backyard. I don't know what to do :( We told her to get a picture of it there and go to the police. I am so unbelievably heartbroken. Who does this? The sheriff said she does this all too often :( I even found craigslist complaints about her. Ugh.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Masin said:
Elohi said:
Masin said:

I know....this person will NOT stop calling! She refuses to give us her number and is simply repeating the ad we placed on the lost & found page. She saw me drive up to the house, saw the cops etc and wants to know why we didn't get our tortoise. She swears it's there and that it's in the backyard. I don't know what to do :( We told her to get a picture of it there and go to the police. I am so unbelievably heartbroken. Who does this? The sheriff said she does this all too often :( I even found craigslist complaints about her. Ugh.

The lady is either seriously mentally ill and delusional...or is acting out some pretty extreme attention seeking behaviors. Really twisted and upsetting for those she lures in. I'm truly very sorry. Hoping you find your sully soon.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I bet you anything that he's under a bunch of needles in your backyard...he would blend in beautifully. Tomorrow morning, when the sun rises, look to see if he's in a sunny spot around your house. Don't forget to put out food or a heat lamp.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
OMG. Uggh. As if losing your tortoise was not enough. Give me that woman's number so I can give her a piece of my bad temper! That is despicable. I have a gut feeling your tortoise is burrowed on your property. I so do hope you find him. What torture. Sure no one came on to the property and took him? If not, he must be there, somewhere. Fingers so crossed.

ulkal

5 Year Member
AW: Lost 20 lb sulcata.

what a sick trick to play on people. I hope you find him.Finges crossed.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Did the person who did this live near you? Just a thought...do you think he could have had something to do with his disappearance?