Lost Hermann's tortoise, West Mids, UK

Plop123

This is the second day my 10month old Hermann tortoise has been out in the garden and he has already escaped! It seems he was aided by the dog who nudged the wood forming his temporary enclosure, allowing him to make a break for it. I've been looking for him all day. He must still be in the garden as its all enclosed. Unfortunately, he has the upper hand as he's so small! He's a little adventurer but I'm worried about him. Will he be alright if I can't find him before it gets dark? Hopefully it'll remain above 14 degrees over night and any rain will hold off...

If anyone has any advice then that would be great!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You'll probably have to wait until morning, then look for him where the sun first hits the garden.

Plop123

I've been in the garden looking for him and waiting for him to come out and bask and there's no sign of him, the sun isn't as bright today though. I've left out some water bowls with strawberries around the edge k entice him out but I don't know what else to do.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I've been in the garden looking for him and waiting for him to come out and bask and there's no sign of him, the sun isn't as bright today though. I've left out some water bowls with strawberries around the edge k entice him out but I don't know what else to do.
Contact neighbours, local vets, the RSPCA etc in case he has gone further than you think.

Plop123

I'm almost 100% certain that he's in the garden as its surrounded by either wall or fences with concrete. How deep could he have burrowed? I'll contact the neighbours etc. just in case

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum!:tort:

He may be around, hiding somewhere, especially if it's too cold/too hot.;)

Hope to hear good news soon. And please keep us updated.:D Good luck.

Plop123

I think it might be a waiting game now until he decides he show himself.

I'm just worried because he's so tiny and hasn't been out before

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If he's that tiny maybe a bird carried him off?

Plop123

We don't tend to get big birds or foxes in our garden fortunately. Hopefully he's just very good at hiding!

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
We don't tend to get big birds or foxes in our garden fortunately. Hopefully he's just very good at hiding!
What about the dog? :( Best of luck, I hope he'll turn up again soon.

Plop123

I had thought about that but if the dog had eaten him then there would be bits of tortoise or he'd of been feeling ill after eating a tortoise whole, so I ruled that one out

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I had thought about that but if the dog had eaten him then there would be bits of tortoise or he'd of been feeling ill after eating a tortoise whole, so I ruled that one out
No, I think a young tortoise should be no problem for a dog, not even for a chihuahua... :(

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I suspect you are correct. It seems unlikely your dog would have eaten the tort whole and without trace. Possible, but unlikely. How big is your Hermann's (straight line?)

Far more likely is that your tort is out there somewhere, possibly not in your garden though.

Our tort is 10.5 inches long and he is very hard to find and just blends into the background. When it's very cold, which it isn't at the moment, he digs down and I have found a circle of shell about 1.5 inches in diameter just visible at ground level!

It really isn't that cold in the UK at the moment. It is far more likely that your tort has pushed under leaves or into the base of a plant, or even into a compost heap (they give off heat). An inch by inch finger tip search of your garden, rope in as many friends as possible to help, is probably the only way you will find him quickly.

Never give up hope. Mud plastered individuals seem to show up months after they go missing.

Do get in touch with local vets , etc. Never underestimate a tort's ability to find a way out when you thought there wasn't one.

Plop123

He's only about 5cm long, so 2 inches. There have been 4 of us looking so far but I think inviting all my friends over to help is a good idea so I'll try that. I'll also ask the neighbours to keep an eye out for him and possibly search their garden too.

Even if we don't find him after all that I'm sure he'll turn up eventually. Will he be more likely to emerge if the weather gets hot again or will they encourage him to burrow further? And is he likely to get dehydrated? I've left some water bowls out for him.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The hot weather is more likely to bring him out - it rarely gets so hot in the UK that they go underground :)

Unlike a big lump like my Joe, your tort is less likely to be in the middle of the lawn when the sun comes out. Joe knows he's big enough not to be bothered. Your tort is more likely to be in a sunny spot by a fence or sheltered by plants where he feels less exposed.

I would try some blue slate chips on the ground in sunny spots as well. See these
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/demonstrating-the-effect-of-blue-slate-on-temperature.141716/

Plop123

The hot weather is more likely to bring him out - it rarely gets so hot in the UK that they go underground :)

Unlike a big lump like my Joe, your tort is less likely to be in the middle of the lawn when the sun comes out. Joe knows he's big enough not to be bothered. Your tort is more likely to be in a sunny spot by a fence or sheltered by plants where he feels less exposed.

I would try some blue slate chips on the ground in sunny spots as well. See these
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/demonstrating-the-effect-of-blue-slate-on-temperature.141716/

Fingers crossed for some hot weather then! I'll try and get some blue slate chips and put them in sunny spots in the borders. I'm trying to think what else I can do to lure him out...