Lost my Hermann’s tortoise in backyard—wondering how far down they dig?

Gummybear

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I have a Hermann’s Tortoise that I let roam in my backyard when I am outside. Last Wednesday I got distracted by my young son and forgot my tortoise was out there. When I went back out 2 hours later I couldn’t find him. We have a small backyard that is fenced with no grass but lots of plants and bark chips everywhere else. I am wondering how deep they dig. If it is possible that he has found somewhere to dig and has been hanging out there for days or if it is more likely that he managed to climb under the fence (would be difficult but maybe not impossible). I have alerted neighbors but nobody has seen him yet. I am pretty new to tortoises and am not clear on their outside behavior. When I was with him he would usually roam around but I did catch him digging sometimes. Just not sure how deep he would dig and if he would stay there for days or what. It is about 50F where I am at night and mid-70s during day where I am right now. Any tips on finding him?

Attachments

• A4B339F6-2445-4D14-A59C-3495337E0010.jpeg
    A4B339F6-2445-4D14-A59C-3495337E0010.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 85
  • B22CD117-9644-460E-8BE6-2EE0985E0D95.jpeg
    B22CD117-9644-460E-8BE6-2EE0985E0D95.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 79

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I would check your fence to see if there are any openings he could fit through. If that is your fence in the picture, it looks like he could easily have gotten out. I would suspect that he escaped your yard more than that he dug a burrow. Look all over your yard, especially in corners and against barriers for any holes. If he dug a burrow, you should be able to find it. I'm not familiar with Hermann's but my sulcata will dig down at about a 30 degree angle. When he had a burrow, he never stopped digging. It usually took a few days to make a burrow deep enough that he could hide in.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Also go out at "First sun" in your yard and look to see if he is basking. Tell neighbors further out, offer neighbor kids a reward if they find him, etc.

snivloc16

Kansas
My hermanns only digs down about 2-3 inches deep. Even those his substrate depth is 4-5 inches Usually the top of his shell is exposed. I agree on checking around at dawn for it. Mine is very active in the morning.

tortoiseplanet

Earth
The same has happened to me and a lesson has been learned for the both of us. Never put a tortoise out without an enclosure. Even if you’re watching. Eventually you will get too comfortable and forget. Hope others don’t make the same mistake and I hope you find him. Never give up. One of my Russians escaped and I found her in someone’s backyard 11 homes down in just 3 hours after her escape. They can really travel far in a small amount of time. Put up flyers and a Craigslist ad, hope you find him. Keep us posted.

Via Infinito

Viet Nam
My previous sulcata baby went missing. He was in the outside enclosure (when the wall was still not quite tall enough). After two hours I lost him forever. Couldn't find him even though I put posters everywhere around the neighborhood!
Look through every shrub and corners.
They can travel very far in a short amount of time.

kellya31

Indiana
yee haw!

My in laws lost their tortoise for a week. They have had to put out a $100 reward. This happened twice. I think the second time he was held for random.