LOST SULCATA IN CENTRAL OHIO

tortlove2416

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hi all!

I need help! I have lost my 3.5 year old Sulcata (about the size of a small rock or the size of an adult hand) in my backyard on Sunday the 24th in the afternoon. It was nice and sunny and hot out, so I let him into the yard to graze on some dandelions (his favorite!) I was working on a project in my backyard and was planning to check on him in 10 mins. I made a HUGE mistake and lost track of time and after 30 mins, I went to check on him and he had completely disappeared. I am at a loss for what to do next. It has been a couple days since his disappearance and the weather has not been great for Sulcatas...chilly nights (lows in the 50s), overcast days, and occasional storms. I gathered my family that evening and spent hours looking for him, but no luck. It has been a few days now and no sightings. I have informed all of my closest neighbors (we live in a suburban neighborhood, houses all around) and have placed flyers on stop signs. I have also called all local pet stores and the humane society and informed them and I am monitoring Craigslist and Facebook. I am praying I find him soon. Luckily, it is just the beginning of Summer, but I know the weather this week has not been ideal for his survival... I'm kicking myself hard right now... :'(

Other than getting flyers out, what else can I do? There are a TON of places he could be hiding unfortunately and I hate crawling around my neighbor's backyards 24/7, although I do have permission and people know why. I try to walk around every few hours looking for him. There are some groups of trees and plenty of stick & leaf piles around and I have tried to look in all of them.

So questions: How far could he have possibly travelled? Would he cross streets? Would he burrow or find a hiding spot to stay warm? Would he stay hidden while it is cold? Best times and places to look for him or tricks to lure him out? How many days of chilly weather could he handle before he would succumb to the weather? It is supposed to warm back up tomorrow, but he has been missing for approximately 5 days now... When do I give up hope of finding him..? :'(

I have been a wreck about my stupid mistake, so please go easy on me. I just want some help in increasing my chances of bringing him home safe and alive.

tortlove2416

Ohio
I did find some plants nearby that look like he might have nibbled them but it's hard to tell. Could have been a rabbit too... :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Best time to look for him is first thing in the morning when the sun is shining on something, like a fence. Tortoises come out in the morning and sit in the sun to warm up, then they start their wanderings.

Russian Yard 4-4-12 b.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Check around daily, specially when the sun comes out. He will want to warm up so will come out in the open to get the sun. Other then that, sounds like you have it all covered already. They can travel far, but if you keep looking, you have a good chance of getting him back. Did you have him in an enclosure of his own or just wondering in the yard?

tortlove2416

Ohio
This is the most recent picture of him. And him might actually be a her, so I apologize. Goes by the name Sheldon though. Last time I measure, he was about 5.5-6in. long. His shell was pretty rough when I first got him for free from a guy off of Craiglist. I just wish he was smart and knew to stay in his yard. He has it so good with me. I don't think he realizes he lives in Ohio!

image.jpeg

tortlove2416

Ohio
Check around daily, specially when the sun comes out. He will want to warm up so will come out in the open to get the sun. Other then that, sounds like you have it all covered already. They can travel far, but if you keep looking, you have a good chance of getting him back. Did you have him in an enclosure of his own or just wondering in the yard?

He was in an escape proof enclosure that he uses when I can't supervise him. But since I had been outside working on a project, I decided to let him loose in the yard to do some grazing. I just lost track of time and when I went to go grab him, he was gone. I immediately began searching for him, but it was already starting to get dark and we weren't able to locate him... I know it was a huge mistake, and believe me if I can ever find him, he'll never be unsupervised ever again!

tortlove2416

Ohio
Well, at least you know he's not missing any meals!

True! I know he's not starving. Just worried about him freezing since it's been a few days now. My instinct tells me he wouldn't roam as far when it's colder out, I feel like he would try to hide somewhere to stay warm, and then roam once the sun came back out. But I could be wrong! I just checked the weather tonight and it's getting down to about 45F :( I feel like I let him down...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, you didn't let him down. He saw your inattention and rubbed his little paws together and snuck off, laughing all the way!

surfergirl

he will be fine in 50 degrees if he can bask and warm up during the days. mine went missing two times once in the summer once in the winter during a warm spell and he survived 40 degrees with no issues. we found him in 3 days later in the winter and he never got sick. I would definitely look under bushes, etc. mine circled around and always stayed pretty close to home. I put out signs and it paid off both times. I hope that you find him soon. good wishes from Ga!

Zookeeper

Hi all!

I need help! I have lost my 3.5 year old Sulcata (about the size of a small rock or the size of an adult hand) in my backyard on Sunday the 24th in the afternoon. It was nice and sunny and hot out, so I let him into the yard to graze on some dandelions (his favorite!) I was working on a project in my backyard and was planning to check on him in 10 mins. I made a HUGE mistake and lost track of time and after 30 mins, I went to check on him and he had completely disappeared. I am at a loss for what to do next. It has been a couple days since his disappearance and the weather has not been great for Sulcatas...chilly nights (lows in the 50s), overcast days, and occasional storms. I gathered my family that evening and spent hours looking for him, but no luck. It has been a few days now and no sightings. I have informed all of my closest neighbors (we live in a suburban neighborhood, houses all around) and have placed flyers on stop signs. I have also called all local pet stores and the humane society and informed them and I am monitoring Craigslist and Facebook. I am praying I find him soon. Luckily, it is just the beginning of Summer, but I know the weather this week has not been ideal for his survival... I'm kicking myself hard right now... :'(

Other than getting flyers out, what else can I do? There are a TON of places he could be hiding unfortunately and I hate crawling around my neighbor's backyards 24/7, although I do have permission and people know why. I try to walk around every few hours looking for him. There are some groups of trees and plenty of stick & leaf piles around and I have tried to look in all of them.

So questions: How far could he have possibly travelled? Would he cross streets? Would he burrow or find a hiding spot to stay warm? Would he stay hidden while it is cold? Best times and places to look for him or tricks to lure him out? How many days of chilly weather could he handle before he would succumb to the weather? It is supposed to warm back up tomorrow, but he has been missing for approximately 5 days now... When do I give up hope of finding him..? :'(

I have been a wreck about my stupid mistake, so please go easy on me. I just want some help in increasing my chances of bringing him home safe and alive.
Where are you located in Ohio?

Zookeeper

received_10209692312852685.jpeg
Hi all!

This guy was found yesterday

Zookeeper

wow!! i hope its him
I'm comparing pictures, unfortunately the shells don't seem to match. This little guy was found in Amish area and looks like he either got stepped on by a horse or cow, his shell is fractured pretty good.

Attachments

• 1468968995809-1740700146.jpg
    1468968995809-1740700146.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 31

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Poor guy. Does that rescue have a donation page? I'd donate a little bit to help pay for a vet.