Lost Sulcata Simi Valley/Moorpark California

chiefbit

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Help! We lost one of our large Sulcata tortoises. He weighs approximately 100 pounds. We are on a 20 acre ranch and are not sure what day he went missing but it was probably Tuesday April 18. There has been a lot of construction going on and I think he took advantage of a gate that was left open by the workers. He could be anywhere in the area of the Reagan Library, most likely on the Moorpark side. He is 7 years old and has recently been humping everything in sight. If you find him, please contact me. We love him and desperately want him back. Thank you.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Best of luck.
Kids are very good detectives and are very good at stumbling across lost tortoises.
I'd tell as many neighborhood children as I could about the lost tortoise and a cash reward. maybe $20 to the finder.
Also, my only lost tortoise was eventually found trying to break back into it's enclosure for some mango.
I'd keep placing it's favorite food out in the same place as usual. Maybe something also visual like a big squash/pumpkin. He/she has no idea that it broke out. Isn't hiding, and won't be shy about returning.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Check vets and shelters in your area. Also watch out for 'found tortoise' flyers on posts at corners in your neighborhood. Don't forget Craigslist pet section!

chiefbit

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thanks zero pilot - we put his favorite food out as well as a giant bowl of water. I'm hoping he is just wandering around the ranch having a blast. We've had a lot of rain (for us) recently and there are tall yummy grasses everywhere!

chiefbit

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thanks Teresaf - we did call the shelters but I totally spaced about Craig's list. Thanks for the advice!

gary99

Help! We lost one of our large Sulcata tortoises. He weighs approximately 100 pounds. We are on a 20 acre ranch and are not sure what day he went missing but it was probably Tuesday April 18. There has been a lot of construction going on and I think he took advantage of a gate that was left open by the workers. He could be anywhere in the area of the Reagan Library, most likely on the Moorpark side. He is 7 years old and has recently been humping everything in sight. If you find him, please contact me. We love him and desperately want him back. Thank you.
Large tortoise found in Moorpark ! Is it yours ? It definately weighs 100 pounds. Attaching photo. If you want to see it , please email [email protected].1839.jpg

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
It would have to be wouldn't it? How many 100lb sulcatas could be on the loose in that area? I will freak if it isn't.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I would also contact your local California Turtle and Tortoise Club. It may get turned into them. You can look them up on line.Good luck!

chiefbit

5 Year Member
Southern California
Ok Teresaf - start freaking!!! THAT 100 lb tortoise is not ours! There were 2 one hundred pound tortoises lost in Moorpark California on the same day!

We found ours today. He was trying to walk home dragging 14 feet of wire and construction vent with him. We have no idea where he has been but he was gone for a week.

He wasn't really hungry, there is wild grass everywhere, but he was VERY thirsty. It's usually not easy soaking a hundred pound sulcata but he couldn't wait to get into the kiddie pool I filled for him. Other than thirsty, he seems to be fine after his adventure.

One of our elderly neighbors spotted him and he scared her by hoofing it towards her when he saw her. He is so social and was so happy to see a human!! I'm sure it's a little disconcerting having an unknown giant tortoise rushing at you !!

Our sully has now been transferred from minimum security to maximum security tortoise prison. Not so bad really - he has a pool, native wild grasses, roses, wild dandelions, shade trees, a heated hut and plenty of room to roam without hazards. Not a bad life.... :) I want to thank everyone for their helpful suggestions. :)

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Ok Teresaf - start freaking!!! THAT 100 lb tortoise is not ours! There were 2 one hundred pound tortoises lost in Moorpark California on the same day!

We found ours today. He was trying to walk home dragging 14 feet of wire and construction vent with him. We have no idea where he has been but he was gone for a week.

He wasn't really hungry, there is wild grass everywhere, but he was VERY thirsty. It's usually not easy soaking a hundred pound sulcata but he couldn't wait to get into the kiddie pool I filled for him. Other than thirsty, he seems to be fine after his adventure.

One of our elderly neighbors spotted him and he scared her by hoofing it towards her when he saw her. He is so social and was so happy to see a human!! I'm sure it's a little disconcerting having an unknown giant tortoise rushing at you !!

Our sully has now been transferred from minimum security to maximum security tortoise prison. Not so bad really - he has a pool, native wild grasses, roses, wild dandelions, shade trees, a heated hut and plenty of room to roam without hazards. Not a bad life.... :) I want to thank everyone for their helpful suggestions. :)
So.....do you know these people? Had any contact with them since this happened? If I had a 100 pound tortoise I would love to converse with someone else in my area who had one!