Lost tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauren80

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dorset, England
Hi I have just joined tody. i have had my two for a year now (pebbles and BamBam) and we love them to bits.
As its a warm day they have been outside...we have a walled garden so there is no way they could escape..I know that russians are good climbers, but six foot might be a bit extreme?
Anyway we have a raised area, about 3 foot deep with soil, plants and weed. they love it in there. but today when I went to bring them in for the night BamBam was gone. I have spent ages looking for him, but there no sign of him.
I am really worried..especially leaving him out all night. could he have buried himself...and is there any chance he will re-surface? can anyone give any advise?

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Oh so sorry to hear what you are going through, as you must be devastated. Does the walled garden have anyway he could get out other than climbing, which wouldn't happen if it's 6 feet (i.e. any other openings/door, etc). Russians are known for digging and could quite possibly dug. Do you see any signs of loose or moved dirt anywhere? Sometimes tortoises just re-surface their owners have no idea how they got out.

lauren80

5 Year Member
Dorset, England
We have a back gate which is bolted and hasn't been open today ( he can't get underneath it either). I checked on him about twenty minutes before he went. the soil there was loose but didn't seem as though it had been moved much. Just been out again with a torch!!! but no sign of him. i am hoping he turns up in the morning. do you know how long they can stay under ground? (if that has what he has done?!)
Thanks

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
well they can hibernate underground for months. I don't know what type of climate you have so I can't say if your tortoise is looking to hide from colder weather or not. I would post lost tortoise flyers, maybe put an ad or two online (lost pet section) an let your neighbors know about it, if possible

lauren80

5 Year Member
Dorset, England
Well I am in south england..it's about 20c at the moment and very changable!!! fingers crossed he surfaces tomorrow. I will be on the case tomorrow thats for sure!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi lauren80:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Is your name Lauren?

Tomorrow morning, as soon as the sun hits the yard where you lost the tortoise, go out and look on the wall or fence where the sun hits. You will probably see the tortoise up against the wall/fence, sunning himself.

They are very good diggers, and chances are that he has dug down into the ground, pushing the dirt behind him, covering up the hole he's in.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
welcome to the forum :) and im sory about the lost tortoise i know how you feel.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Good luck in finding your tortoise.
I know how it feels too-lost one myself once:(
Don't give up

lauren80

5 Year Member
Dorset, England
No sign of him yet, looks like rain today..will this encourage him out or only make him dig deeper? i have put some banana in his normal basking spot..hope this will tempt him out. Poor pebbles looks lonely :( (although I didn't think they really liked each other that much!!!!!)

Just found him!!!!!! under the sunflowers, munching banana!! He has reappeared from no where! Thanks for all your comments! I am over the moon....now I can post all my other questions :)

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
For a russian rain can sometimes make them come out. Just keep an eye out, and don't give up hope.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Oh Lauren...I'm so happy for you:) Glad all worked out and no tort fun for a week is for sure LOL

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
great news indeed

Status
Not open for further replies.