LOTS of light, OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Norway
The summer has been great here in the south of Norway this year and my Greek has been in his outside enclosure almost everyday. I have started thinking about his indoor enclosure a lot in the last few days, specifically about the light levels.

Right now I have a powersun mvb 160W on one end and a reptiglo T8 5.0 short tube on the other. The light levels are ok, but compared to the summer sun its quite dim in there.

I have thinking about adding a long T8 repliglo 2.0 to really get it bright in there. (see attached pic for current setup and red line depicting where I am thinking about attaching the additional light tube).

My 2 questions are:

1. Will my setup lead to "too much" light, making my Greek uncomfortable?

2. Is the positioning of the additional light (red line in pic) OK. Its going to be mounted on side wall instead of directly above. Can this lead to blindness? The planned light would be 10 inches from substrate.

Attachments

• abc.jpg
    abc.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 45

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I don't think it would be too much light. Please note I do not keep Greek tortoises.

The lighting (red line) location also seems fine to me. Although, personally I'd add more plants for cover so the tortoise can hide and have "shade" to retreat into.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't do Greeks either, but of all the species I have done, a single incandescent bulb, or an incandescent with a florescent tube has always sufficed.

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
Team Gomberg said:
I don't think it would be too much light. Please note I do not keep Greek tortoises.

The lighting (red line) location also seems fine to me. Although, personally I'd add more plants for cover so the tortoise can hide and have "shade" to retreat into.

Thanks, I'll try the light out and see how my tort reacts. Besides the two plants, there are two humid hides (one above ground level, one below). Until now I have not added any more plants because I did not wish to reduce my torts walking area. However, if I keep the extra light I might add more plants for shade. Thanks for the tip.

Tom said:
I don't do Greeks either, but of all the species I have done, a single incandescent bulb, or an incandescent with a florescent tube has always sufficed.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for replying. I notice most people on this forum agree with you. I only starting thinking about adding LOTS of light after reading this:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-20621.html

Do you think that what Balboa writes in the thread above about having lots of light to avoid SAD in our torts could apply more to us that live in the far north where our torts spend up to 8 months indoors?

Status
Not open for further replies.