Lots of marbling in my crew

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Rafiki and Mimosa have really started marbling, but in different ways...Mimosa has the more solid white between scutes whereas Rafiki's is more dispersed. Both forms are gorgeous and I'm not complaining a bit! The mother's are in parentheses:
Mimosa (Rambutan).

Rafiki (Lemon head):

And the new surprise who showed no signs earlier (and is barely marbling now, but I'm still excited!). I sprayed him/her down so the marbling is easier to see.
Coagi (Unknown):

Real character

Mandarin (Oren) continues to remain shy, really not thriving compared to the other three. Will have permanent enclosure to him-/herself soon.

PS - Allegra, when you're not busy pawing over this years million-dollar hatchlings from Rambutan, let me know what you think!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow...I don't know when I've seen such a bunch of really smooth RF tortoises. You must be so proud.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very BEAUTIFUL Chris ! .....the first few shots look to be of Joe Terry Line ...I have a gal that looks very similar to yours.
MBLFCH5_zps6c1069f1.jpg

]
sum10_zps797cde60.jpg

[URL='http://s755.photobucket.com/user/N2TORTS/media/summer2013/sum10_zps797cde60.jpg.html']I still think this is the most marbled I’ve seen yet whadda you think?[/URL]
[URL='http://s755.photobucket.com/user/N2TORTS/media/summer2013/MBLFCH5_zps6c1069f1.jpg.html'][URL='http://s755.photobucket.com/user/N2TORTS/media/summer2013/sum10_zps797cde60.jpg.html'][URL='http://s755.photobucket.com/user/N2TORTS/media/summer2013/NewCHEY_zps44b3d343.jpg.html'] [/URL][/URL]
[URL='http://s755.photobucket.com/user/N2TORTS/media/summer2013/sum10_zps797cde60.jpg.html']too bad hew was acquired with some "already slight pyramiding " although still one of my favo marbles!
Reminds of a Cherry/Leo Cross....

Keep up the Great work .... your torts like awesome!

JD~
[/URL][/URL]

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Thanks for the compliments all!

Yvonne, I do my best but even Coagi is a bit bumpy. Strange how three can be very smooth but one can have slight bumps when all the environmental conditions are relatively equal (I'm ignoring microclimate, genetics, interaction effects, etc. when I say this).

JD, that last tort is insane, you're right on with the leopard tortoise appearance! That's what I thought too :). I'm hoping Mimosa ends up looking like that gal you have pictured first, that's what I'm imagining in my head anyway...we'll see how things form up.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Your tortoises are looking really good, Chris! The marveling is fantastic!
Hopefully Mandarin will be happier alone!
:)

Bryan

10 Year Member!
I really like Rafiki and Coagi, they're all very nice though! Allegra produces some absolute beauties!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I really like Rafiki and Coagi, they're all very nice though! Allegra produces some absolute beauties!
Those were the first two I bought from her...then I went back for more! If I ever buy a house, I may be in for more tortoise trouble. The addiction is troubling sometimes but it's fun :).

abclements

5 Year Member
Those guys are growing up great! I really like the look of Rafiki and his spotted marbling. Its a really nifty kind of look! When money isn't so tight, I think I'm gonna pick up 1 or 2 from Alegra!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Those guys are growing up great! I really like the look of Rafiki and his spotted marbling. Its a really nifty kind of look! When money isn't so tight, I think I'm gonna pick up 1 or 2 from Alegra!

It's tough not wanting a tortoise, or two...or three... from Allegra. She produces incredible hatchlings and is so good to her customers, I hope you can pick up as many from her as your budget allows!

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Those were the first two I bought from her...then I went back for more! If I ever buy a house, I may be in for more tortoise trouble. The addiction is troubling sometimes but it's fun :).

How big are they? That is a very nice group overall. If you buy a house? I think you mean if you build a house because that way you could build a massive tortoise room! :)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
How big are they? That is a very nice group overall. If you buy a house? I think you mean if you build a house because that way you could build a massive tortoise room! :)

Rafiki is the largest at around 6" SCL, the rest are between 3-5" SCL. The plan would be to purchase/build a house with a large backyard; then build a greenhouse/garden for the tortoises and my enjoyment. It's a dream that may come down the road...

allegraf

10 Year Member!
They look amazing! Rafik I looks like a girl and Coagi looks like a girl that may flip to a boy upon maturity. You are welcome to any of my babies anytime you are ready! I can only imagine what your greenhouse/garden will look like if your indoor set up is any indication. Amazing job, well done!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
They look amazing! Rafiki I looks like a girl and Coagi looks like a girl that may flip to a boy upon maturity. You are welcome to any of my babies anytime you are ready! I can only imagine what your greenhouse/garden will look like if your indoor set up is any indication. Amazing job, well done!

Funny you should say Rafiki looks female and Coagi is a toss up...I thought Rafiki looked male and Coagi looked female. I'll take your experience over my vacillation (I still can't tell) and hope you're right. Maybe in another year or two those anal scutes and tails will be more conclusive to me. I appreciate the feedback and will let you know when I'm looking for more. If I can achieve landscaping like TerryO's gardens, I think the torts and I would be psyched.

Thanks everyone for your compliments and input!

abclements

5 Year Member
Funny you should say Rafiki looks female and Coagi is a toss up...I thought Rafiki looked male and Coagi looked female. I'll take your experience over my vacillation (I still can't tell) and hope you're right. Maybe in another year or two those anal scutes and tails will be more conclusive

Ya Rafiki Is looking a lot like Franklin, who some have pinned for an early female. Only time will tell, huh chris?! Same kinda rounded schutes but interesting tail for sure!...

Attachments

• 1399872674854.jpg
    1399872674854.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 17

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Ya Rafiki Is looking a lot like Franklin, who some have pinned for an early female. Only time will tell, huh chris?! Same kinda rounded schutes but interesting tail for sure!...

So far, that looks female to me, but if the tortoise is ~6" SCL, it's always tough to tell!

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Wait, I think I mixed up the names. The first one looks like a girl and the second is a toss up! And Franklin is looking like a Francine.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Wait, I think I mixed up the names. The first one looks like a girl and the second is a toss up! And Franklin is looking like a Francine.

Haha, Allegra, I think you had it spot on the first time and now you've hit the nail on the head again. The first plastron pictured is Rafiki and Coagi (Toss-up) is the second. Again, I hope you're right!!! Fingers crossed. The more I look at it, the more Rafiki does look female, it's just that his/her tail is a bit long after the cloaca but I know some females can get male characteristics in captivity. It would help if I took better (closer) pictures. Maybe I'll try to do that sometime soon...

abclements

5 Year Member

Francine isn't half bad! My fiance and I were thinking Franklina lol but now Francine is definitely in the running