Lots of tortoises and turtles, all types

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Owen

5 Year Member
I work at Wildlife Rescue. Our mission is to provide sanctuary for unwanted tortoises and rehabiliatation for native species. We currrently have multiple species including Sulcata Tortoises, Red footed tortoises, box turtles, desert tortoises and multiple species of native turtles.

Currently 2 of our tortoises have been diagnosed with Mycoplasma. We are providing good husbandry, increased temperature and humidity and supportive antibiotics. I would, however, like to know if there are any products which help stimulate the immunity in a tortoise? Maybe vitamins or nutritional supplements?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Dee:

Welcome to the forum!!

Where are you located?

It would be best if from now on you could do the blood test on all new tortoises to make sure of the mycoplasma, so that you can keep the mycoplasma tortoises separate from the non-mycoplasma tortoises. There is nothing that kills off mycoplasma. Once a tortoise has it, it never goes away. Only the symptoms go away, but stress brings them back.

Far as I'm concerned, this diagnosis isn't a death sentence. If the tortoise is kept in a natural setting, and all its needs are met, and is not stressed it can live a long and healthy life. I have my Mi-Shell, a desert tortoise that I've had for over 35 years (was an adult when I got her) and she's still going strong, with the mycoplasma living inside her.

The only studies being done on mycoplasma are being done in Florida. And I believe that's where the blood tests have to go too.

Glad to have you here on the forum with us. I'd love to see pictures of your facility.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

The only way I know to boost a tortoises immune system is to just give them the right conditions, food, hydration and environment.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! I hope you do a thread showing us the rescue and some of the animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.