Louie is a picky eater, how do I help expand his diet?

Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
Hello everyone!! I've come across a problem with Louie (russian). I've been trying to introduce new things like dandelions, kale, and weeds from my yard into his diet, but he won't touch it. Before I started taking care of him, his previous owners only fed him romaine lettuce. He seems to be okay on just that, but I'm concerned that he's not getting all the nutrients he needs to be completely healthy. I live in a climate that's cold most of the year, so I can't keep him out because he'll freeze. I've tried things like dipping the new foods in water, trying to hide them in his romaine, and even putting just the new food on his slab, but no matter what I do, he just won't eat it! Is there another way I can trick him into getting all his needed nutrients?

Thank you all!
-Gracey and Louie

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
You gotta play hardball. Don't give him what he wants only give him new foods and eventually he will eat them. He won't starve himself.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Tortoises are stubborn and have no problem going on a hunger strike when they don’t get what they want but I promise he won’t starve himself; they can go much longer than you and I without food and be just fine.

As mentioned above, you’re going to have to show some tough love; it’s not like he’s buying those bags of romaine himself, right? Stay strong!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you have a blender, put in some romaine and blend it until you have mush. Then chop up some different greens (different from romaine) into bite sized pieces - things like endive, escarole, dandelion, mulberry leaves - whatever edible weeds you have growing outside, and mix it all together with the romaine mush until all the pieces are covered. You can feed him like this for a week or so, then slowly, bit by bit, decrease the amount of romaine mush until he's eating all the greens without it. Don't try to make the change to fast. Take your time.