Louie is in trouble

Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
Hey everyone. Louie hasn't been well at all lately. At first, I thought it was his temperature, so I git him a ceramic heater. He still wasn't well, so I started soaking him more often with crushed up greens and dandelions so he can drink the juice parts and get the vitamins he needs, but that didn't work either.
Yesterday, he did something that really really scared me. We were outside in the sun, and he opened his eyes. I took that opportunity to get him some food so he could eat. He didn't eat it, and started extending his neck out all the way with his mouth open. There was foam coming out of the sides of his mouth, and I didn't know what to do. He closed his eyes after that and went completely limp. I thought he was dead. He started moving about an hour later.
My mom and I looked it up and we think he has a respiratory infection. I'm taking him to the vet on Friday the 15th (tomorrow), and I wanted to ask you all how likely it is that Louie will get better if it is a respiratory infection.
I've already accepted the reality that he might not make it, even though it really hurts to admit it.

thank you,
Louie and Gracey

Denver, Colorado
He was outside, I think you're right. He did get better after being inside. He's a little better but I still think he has an infection/vitamin deficiency.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I’m not a vet, but I’m pretty confident that a vitamin deficiency, would definitely not cause your tortoise to “...start extending his neck out all the way with his mouth open. There was foam coming out of the sides of his mouth...”.

Heat stroke & poisoning can result in the strange actions & mouth foaming.

Denver, Colorado
I meant overall behavior. He's still very lethargic and his eyes are swollen shut, which was the main reason for going to the vet tomorrow in the first place. I've learned my lesson about being in the sun. He seems to be 'normal' now, but we're still going to the vet.

Denver, Colorado
I’m not a vet, but I’m pretty confident that a vitamin deficiency, would definitely not cause your tortoise to “...start extending his neck out all the way with his mouth open. There was foam coming out of the sides of his mouth...”.

Heat stroke & poisoning can result in the strange actions & mouth foaming.
I feel so bad for making this mistake.