Louie says goodbye.

Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
Hello everyone.
I have very bad news. Louie, my russian tortoise, has passed away this morning. I woke up this morning to feed him, only to find him unresponsive to anything I tried. About two hours later, he had gone completely stiff. I'm not sure why he died, but I find comfort in the fact that he can't feel pain anymore. I miss him so, SO much. I think this is goodbye for now. Thank you to everyone for all the help. I feel that Louie would have passed sooner if it weren't for your advice.
Thank you and goodbye,
Gracey

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Oh Gracey! I am so very sorry this happened to you and Louie!

I know about the episode with the foaming. But I'm more inclined to think it was the long term starvation before you got him that caused his death. I believe that probably, there was nothing that you or anybody else could have done to save him.

The blame for this is on the idiot who only gave him lettuce.

Give yourself time to grieve and cry...it's OK. Sometimes other people don't understand how we can be so in love with a turtle, but we do. If you want to talk to us, we're here for you.

After a while has gone by, you may want another tortoise. There are so many of them that need you! Come here, and we can help you with a breeder who starts them correctly. If you want an adult, we can help there too.

The point is that whatever you feel, it's OK. And whatever you want to do, we can help.
Many warm hugs to you!
? ? ?

Denver, Colorado
Oh Gracey! I am so very sorry this happened to you and Louie!

I know about the episode with the foaming. But I'm more inclined to think it was the long term starvation before you got him that caused his death. I believe that probably, there was nothing that you or anybody else could have done to save him.

The blame for this is on the idiot who only gave him lettuce.

Give yourself time to grieve and cry...it's OK. Sometimes other people don't understand how we can be so in love with a turtle, but we do. If you want to talk to us, we're here for you.

After a while has gone by, you may want another tortoise. There are so many of them that need you! Come here, and we can help you with a breeder who starts them correctly. If you want an adult, we can help there too.

The point is that whatever you feel, it's OK. And whatever you want to do, we can help.
Many warm hugs to you!
? ? ?
I tried so SO hard to get him to eat other things. He never ate anything else. He was never fed anything else before I got him and I feel bad that I couldn't get him to eat anything else. I fed him romaine in the beginning, but I tried to expand his diet and he didn't eat it. I feel guilty for not expanding his diet sooner. Is it my feeding him romaine after getting him from his old owners that caused his death?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I tried so SO hard to get him to eat other things. He never ate anything else. He was never fed anything else before I got him and I feel bad that I couldn't get him to eat anything else. I fed him romaine in the beginning, but I tried to expand his diet and he didn't eat it. I feel guilty for not expanding his diet sooner. Is it my feeding him romaine after getting him from his old owners that caused his death?
I know you tried! It's what makes you a great tort keeper!

Starvation (malnutrition) takes a long time to kill a tort. They are designed to go for stretches of time when there is no food. They brumate (hibernate) for months over winter time. They don't starve then.

I don't think you had Louie long enough to have significantly contributed to his poor condition. That distinction belongs to the previous owners.

Don't beat yourself up! You can't fix something if you don't know it needs fixed.

My desert tort, Chug, died in brumation in March this year. I have felt guilty, just like you. "What did I do wrong?" "I did the same as the past 2 years, what was wrong this year?"

We can eat ourselves up with guilt, and all it does is make us sick. Then we get angry at ourselves, and it goes downhill from there.

Maybe you could have worked on his diet a bit sooner, but I still think he was too ill by then. And you can't fix it if you don't know it needs fixing.

Grieve for your turtle with all your heart.
Let go of the guilt. Turn that energy into learning even more about tortoises, study their diet and nutrition requirements, their wild vs captive behaviors, all the different species of torts...the possibilities are endless. Call the previous owners and explain to them how their neglect killed your tortoise.

Right here on this forum you have experts in everything tortoise. Read the different forums...all of them.

Honor Louie with positive action!
Karen

Denver, Colorado
I know you tried! It's what makes you a great tort keeper!

Starvation (malnutrition) takes a long time to kill a tort. They are designed to go for stretches of time when there is no food. They brumate (hibernate) for months over winter time. They don't starve then.

I don't think you had Louie long enough to have significantly contributed to his poor condition. That distinction belongs to the previous owners.

Don't beat yourself up! You can't fix something if you don't know it needs fixed.

My desert tort, Chug, died in brumation in March this year. I have felt guilty, just like you. "What did I do wrong?" "I did the same as the past 2 years, what was wrong this year?"

We can eat ourselves up with guilt, and all it does is make us sick. Then we get angry at ourselves, and it goes downhill from there.

Maybe you could have worked on his diet a bit sooner, but I still think he was too ill by then. And you can't fix it if you don't know it needs fixing.

Grieve for your turtle with all your heart.
Let go of the guilt. Turn that energy into learning even more about tortoises, study their diet and nutrition requirements, their wild vs captive behaviors, all the different species of torts...the possibilities are endless. Call the previous owners and explain to them how their neglect killed your tortoise.

Right here on this forum you have experts in everything tortoise. Read the different forums...all of them.

Honor Louie with positive action!
Karen
Thank you so much, Karen. I really needed to hear this :)

FlowerzTrolls

Northern Alberta, CAN
So sorry for your loss! Its a terrible way to start the day, i totally get it!

And i second what everyone has said! Dont beat yourself up! Youve tried youre hardest and sadly, jn some cases, we cant saved them all. :(

Stay strong! Youre a good tort mama ❤

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I am sorry for the loss of your tortoise family member.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

Peter Edsall

Toulouse
So very sorry to hear of the death of your beloved tortoise. It sounds as though you gave him a wonderful loving caring home. Always remember that. My it give you solace.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
So sorry for your loss. I hope when you're ready you canbring another tortoise into your life :<3: :tort:

silverbird

Orange County, California
It is hard losing a member of the family, even if he was a fairly new one. You rescued him from a bad situation, and gave him only what was best for him; so be proud of what you did, as you gave him a good home and Louie is looking down and grateful for what you did for him. You need to find another tortoise; to share that love and caring you have; so it will have a great home. Maybe a baby or two, so you will know that it is being raised from the beginning; the right way. If I can help you get your new "family member", when you are ready; just contact me thru the Forum. Right now, all I have available are two beautiful female baby cherryhead redfoots, that hatched May 5th. The pictures are updated onesIMG_0844.JPGIMG_0845.JPGIMG_0845.JPGIMG_0844.JPGIMG_0845.JPGIMG_0845.JPGIMG_0845.JPGIMG_0845.JPGIMG_0844.JPGIMG_0845.JPG from today.

evansmom

Pacifica, CA
Our Russian Tortoise went to sleep in my husband's shoes. Since then, we have given him two old hiking boots that he loves to nap in. One is in the living room and the other one in the bedroom.

Attachments

• Evan-in-the-Shoe.jpg
    Evan-in-the-Shoe.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Evan-into-his-Boot.jpg
    Evan-into-his-Boot.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 12