Louis is injured please help.

Barbecue

Location (City and/or State)
Myrtle Pt., Oregon
Update: Louis has been seen by an exotic pets vet tonight. His jaw is not hanging off at all or going to break up. As Louis was a rescue and was extremely poorly his bottom jaw has slowly grown out past his top beak, he has had Dremel treatment tonight and already looks great the split is where his top beak was pushing into his bottom jaw not over it as it should. Thanks for all advice he has no infections, diseases it doesn't look great in the pic but manageable. Louis will from time to time have problems as he was given such a bad start in his life but he is loved, and very well looked after. Cheers folks looking better already.
u will send us a picture of how Louis looks now?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Glad all is well and he has been checked over and there is nothing contagious.

Tabby0318

5 Year Member
England
Hi thanks for the response, I have emailed a VET who could help it's getting there bit of a trek. Yes Northants is in the UK. He does not look okay so will defo pursue an appointment just hoped there would be something I could do in the interim. In your experience is this an injury he has or a condition?
Hi, I also live in Northamptonshire. I took my Tabby to Chine House in Sileby, they were the nearest ones that deal with exotic pets. Most vets in the area only have an interest in exotic pets, but with your tort would most likely need a proper vet. They were really good with Tabby. Getting her there in the day though was fun. I sat in the back seat with her and kept her occupied with food. Good luck and hope your little tort can be sorted soon.

Tort2022

Northants
Hi, I also live in Northamptonshire. I took my Tabby to Chine House in Sileby, they were the nearest ones that deal with exotic pets. Most vets in the area only have an interest in exotic pets, but with your tort would most likely need a proper vet. They were really good with Tabby. Getting her there in the day though was fun. I sat in the back seat with her and kept her occupied with food. Good luck and hope your little tort can be sorted soon.
Animates in Thurlby was the nearest to me only one exotic vet within 21 miles of me.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Animates in Thurlby was the nearest to me only one exotic vet within 21 miles of me.
Yes they are few and far between! Good to get registered with a reptile vet so your set up when problems occur. Lots of UK vets have stopped taking on new pets as overwhelmed with covid puppies etc.... my nearest is quite a way but no choice.

Tort2022

Northants
Animates in Thurlby was the nearest to me only one exotic vet within 2 miles of me.
Yes they are few and far between! Good to get registered with a reptile vet so your set up when problems occur. Lots of UK vets have stopped taking on new pets as overwhelmed with covid puppies etc.... my nearest is quite a way but no choice.
Similar, he had a vet before but had no particular expertise for Torts.

Tabby0318

5 Year Member
England
Not related directly to your post (hope you don't mind) but I have a couple of hibiscus shoots (from seeds a couple of years ago) and the plantain has seeded, if you want any for your garden. You can also have some mimula and mallow seeds after they flower this year for next year? I have a spur thigh and she loves all of the above 🙂

Tort2022

Northants
Not related directly to your post (hope you don't mind) but I have a couple of hibiscus shoots (from seeds a couple of years ago) and the plantain has seeded, if you want any for your garden. You can also have some mimula and mallow seeds after they flower this year for next year? I have a spur thigh and she loves all of the above 🙂
That is incredibly thoughtful of you. Thank you

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Sounds like good news for Louis!😁
Do you give him calcium? A pinch twice a week sprinkled over his food should do it.
Some members put cuttle fish bone in the enclosure. But with Louis's jaw, I don't think that would work out well.
Pic of Louis would be great!