Louis is injured please help.

Tort2022

Location (City and/or State)
Northants
Can anyone please help we rescued a Spur Thigh Tortoise last year he had been neglected his shell was soft and he couldn't move very well. After seeing a vet we were able to help him recover, in the last week we have noticed a prominent split in his bottom jaw, his beak and jaw are not aligned and I fear it is getting worse, we have limited reptile veterinaries available to us, I know something is wrong it looks as though it could fall off at any moment please help. Louis defo needs help.

Attachments

• PXL_20220412_193721801.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220412_193721801.MP.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 14

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings & Welcome to the Forum.

Yes, I too can see that prominent crack/split on the bottom beak area. Normally people would take to a vet & have them carefully trim it back. In ur case it doesnt sound like this is an option. If you are comfortable with dog claw, cat claw or bird beak trimming, you could try and carefully trim this back. It could get very much worse if not trimmed.

Maybe @zovick or @Yvonne G have some “home remedy” ideas.

Ps - Is Northants in the UK?

Good luck

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Definitely needs a vet's help. Where exactly do you live?

Tort2022

Northants

Yes, I too can see that prominent crack/split on the bottom beak area. Normally people would take to a vet & have them carefully trim it back. In ur case it doesnt sound like this is an option. If you are comfortable with dog claw, cat claw or bird beak trimming, you could try and carefully trim this back. It could get very much worse if not trimmed.

Good luck
Hi thanks for the response, I have emailed a VET who could help it's getting there bit of a trek. Yes Northants is in the UK. He does not look okay so will defo pursue an appointment just hoped there would be something I could do in the interim. In your experience is this an injury he has or a condition?

Tort2022

Northants
Definitely needs a vet's help. Where exactly do you live?
Hi I have sent an email to book an appointment for him. He's not looking to good at the moment, which is horrible as we rescued him a year ago and he was in a bad way, lots of critical care and careful feeding he had started to thrive, so don't want to lose him, am I right to assume he will struggle with food like this?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Here is some info on mouth rot.
Hopefully you get this link.
Do you notice any of the symptoms mentioned in the article.
Is his eating normal?
I do not see the food your talking about.
To me it looks like a injury but maybe the jaw was weakened by the possible rot.
He looks real dry, do you give him soaks in warm water?

Pebbles Roberts

Platinum Tortoise Club
Beckenham, Unitd kingdom

Good luck
I can only respond to the ‘PS’ I’m afraid. Yes, Northants is in the UK. Short for Northamptonshire.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks to me like that bit in the front is completely broken away and is only holding on by the tissue in the mouth. It won't reattach itself, and it's probably painful when he tries to eat. After the vet gets it straightened out you'll have to cut his food up because he won't be able to bite until that section that's been removed grows back.

Tort2022

Northants
Looks to me like that bit in the front is completely broken away and is only holding on by the tissue in the mouth. It won't reattach itself, and it's probably painful when he tries to eat. After the vet gets it straightened out you'll have to cut his food up because he won't be able to bite until that section that's been removed grows back.
Thank you we've been softening his food and he is managing for now hopefully Vet can get us in asap.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I hope the vet can help. Was it possible that a dog was able to get at him?

Tort2022

Northants
I hope the vet can help. Was it possible that a dog was able to get at him?
No, he has been climbing much more lately and found him on his back several times we wondering if he has fallen, or caught it really not sure.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Can anyone please help we rescued a Spur Thigh Tortoise last year he had been neglected his shell was soft and he couldn't move very well. After seeing a vet we were able to help him recover, in the last week we have noticed a prominent split in his bottom jaw, his beak and jaw are not aligned and I fear it is getting worse, we have limited reptile veterinaries available to us, I know something is wrong it looks as though it could fall off at any moment please help. Louis defo needs help.
Does the tortoise have all of its toenails? Are there any yellow crusty looking bumps on its skin anywhere?

I really hate to mention this, but cracked or lost beaks or jaws, lost toenails, and yellow bumps on the skin are all signs of Austwickia chelonae, which is an incurable infection. If the tortoise has this infection, the best thing to do is to euthanize it to prevent months of suffering.

I hope that it does not have this problem, but please respond to the the question above and also keep us informed of any remedies the vet suggests.

Tort2022

Northants
Here is some info on mouth rot.
Hopefully you get this link.
Do you notice any of the symptoms mentioned in the article.
Is his eating normal?
I do not see the food your talking about.
To me it looks like a injury but maybe the jaw was weakened by the possible rot.
He looks real dry, do you give him soaks in warm water?
Not noticed as of yet but as the article explains trauma can make them more susceptible. He is eating we making sure of that, as soon as appointment available I will get him seen too and hopefully send a update with a happier Louis. Really helpful article thank you.

Tort2022

Northants
Does the tortoise have all of its toenails? Are there any yellow crusty looking bumps on its skin anywhere?

I really hate to mention this, but cracked or lost beaks or jaws, lost toenails, and yellow bumps on the skin are all signs of Austwickia chelonae, which is an incurable infection. If the tortoise has this infection, the best thing to do is to euthanize it to prevent months of suffering.

I hope that it does not have this problem, but please respond to the the question above and also keep us informed of any remedies the vet suggests.
Oh I really hope that isn't the case but thank you for your advice, I will absolutely update when I have any information.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Oh I really hope that isn't the case but thank you for your advice, I will absolutely update when I have any information.
Does the tortoise have any missing toenails or yellow bumps on its skin?

Barbecue

Myrtle Pt., Oregon
That is nice to know they grow back. Amazing

Tort2022

Northants
Update: Louis has been seen by an exotic pets vet tonight. His jaw is not hanging off at all or going to break up. As Louis was a rescue and was extremely poorly his bottom jaw has slowly grown out past his top beak, he has had Dremel treatment tonight and already looks great the split is where his top beak was pushing into his bottom jaw not over it as it should. Thanks for all advice he has no infections, diseases it doesn't look great in the pic but manageable. Louis will from time to time have problems as he was given such a bad start in his life but he is loved, and very well looked after. Cheers folks looking better already.