Louisiana back yard box turtle

Yardturtle

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Hello everyone. I recently moved into a new home in southern Louisiana and noticed that there has been a box turtle living in my small fenced in back yard. It seems to enjoy it here and I find it sunbathing in the back yard often. I am not sure if he has wandered in here and made this his new home but he has made no efforts to leave. I did not put him outside of the fence yet but I dug him a small tunnel under our fence near where he sleeps so that he could leave if he wanted. I put out a slice of banana yesterday in case it needed food and it ate it. Any recommendations or leave alone?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If the previous homeowner left their pet box turtle in the yard when they moved out, digging an escape under the fence for it would be the wrong thing to do. Released pets don't fare well.

Yardturtle

Louisiana
If the previous homeowner left their pet box turtle in the yard when they moved out, digging an escape under the fence for it would be the wrong thing to do. Released pets don't fare well.
If the previous homeowner left their pet box turtle in the yard when they moved out, digging an escape under the fence for it would be the wrong thing to do. Released pets don't fare wel
I don’t know the previous owners of the house and have no way of knowing if this was a pet of theirs. It does not seem like it was a released pet but I don’t know for certain? It’s behaviors don’t suggest it at least.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would guess, if there was no water source, hide, feeding dish left with him, then likely wild.
I would let him find his own food. Maybe give a low large clay saucer of water daily so he stays hydrated, unless there is a pond close by.