Lumber Cost for New Sulcata House

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
So far is Zero. Here is what people have brought me so farPicture 010.jpgPicture 011.jpgLumber has gotten expensive so I decided to use reclaimed lumber from demo being done here in town or close by. All I have to do is remove some nails. Today I heard someone dropping lumber out front. So I walked from the back yard and found a guy that I did a favor for a couple weeks dropping off about 20 No 1 used treated 2x4s. All this wood was delivered without charge from friends or people I've just met.The old Mongoose bike was a gift also. I found it a home just hasn't been picked up yet. Small Town living is Great.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Wow Len. That is the way to go. You're a smart feller!
I don't know what a No 2 untreated eight foot 2x4 cost on the west coast but it's around $10 here if you can find them.. And on the bottom of this pile are 3 sheets of 3/4 inch of plywood.I can't imagine how much they cost today.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know what a No 2 untreated eight foot 2x4 cost on the west coast but it's around $10 here if you can find them.. And on the bottom of this pile are 3 sheets of 3/4 inch of plywood.I can't imagine how much they cost today.
Too much. They cost too much now.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Got more free boards Wednesday, This time he brought about 30 treated for ground contact 5/4 inch decking boards. Going to make a nicer looking barrier wall separating Walker and Galloper. Here's what it looks like now from both sides.Picture 001.jpgPicture.jpgI'm building the new wall on my driveway out front in panels to be put together when completed. This is what it's going to look like.Picture 009.jpgI pulled the panels apart some in this pic to show how they will interlock with each other to make it more secure. Picture 011.jpg

Len B

10 Year Member!
Wow, great job, doing 3 things at once...
Building a new structure, Saving $ (Great), and diverting something useful from the landfill.
Kudo's
Thanks, I'm old enough to have never been part of the throw away generation. also i like to save money.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Thanks Mark, but I'm sure some here would argue that point with you.
It is aptly named Ingenuity. Has nothing to the so called requirements of school taught education. It is simply beautiful to watch in action how else would a stock tank pool with filter, chicken coop trailer, and monster of a rainwater collection co-exist in Harmony! Get 'em Len!

Jan A

Boulder, CO
It is aptly named Ingenuity. Has nothing to the so called requirements of school taught education. It is simply beautiful to watch in action how else would a stock tank pool with filter, chicken coop trailer, and monster of a rainwater collection co-exist in Harmony! Get 'em Len!
It's illegal to collect your rainwater in the Republic of Boulder. OTOH, they only collect your compost material every other week, so the flies around your trash bins are unbelieveable if you're a responsible citizen. Fortunately, I was not. I thought that was what garbage disposals are for (except for potato peels & mass quantities of lettuce--been there, done that!!)

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
It's illegal to collect your rainwater in the Republic of Boulder. OTOH, they only collect your compost material every other week, so the flies around your trash bins are unbelieveable if you're a responsible citizen. Fortunately, I was not. I thought that was what garbage disposals are for (except for potato peels & mass quantities of lettuce--been there, done that!!)
I thought Communism was illegal in the US? Him better restudy my History! Although its not like you have to wait long for the next rain shower! Stay dry and don't rust!

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
So far is Zero. Here is what people have brought me so farView attachment 327166View attachment 327167Lumber has gotten expensive so I decided to use reclaimed lumber from demo being done here in town or close by. All I have to do is remove some nails. Today I heard someone dropping lumber out front. So I walked from the back yard and found a guy that I did a favor for a couple weeks dropping off about 20 No 1 used treated 2x4s. All this wood was delivered without charge from friends or people I've just met.The old Mongoose bike was a gift also. I found it a home just hasn't been picked up yet. Small Town living is Great.

What town is this!??? (Don’t answer that on a computer)....

I am on my way!!!!!
Wow!!! How fantastic!
Forget your tortoise.....
Build ME a shed to live in!!!!
I promise I will clean the dishes every night for you and your family! ?
and get a job delivering papers on that bike!
You have AWSOME neighbors!!!!

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Got more free boards Wednesday, This time he brought about 30 treated for ground contact 5/4 inch decking boards. Going to make a nicer looking barrier wall separating Walker and Galloper. Here's what it looks like now from both sides.View attachment 327452View attachment 327451I'm building the new wall on my driveway out front in panels to be put together when completed. This is what it's going to look like.View attachment 327453I pulled the panels apart some in this pic to show how they will interlock with each other to make it more secure. View attachment 327454

Wow!
A tortoise with its own boardwalk??
What’s next ??..... rides? ?
GORGEOUS!!!

Jan A

Boulder, CO
thought Communism was illegal in the US? Him better restudy my History! Although its not like you have to wait long for the next rain shower! Stay dry and don't rust!
It's why I got the H out of there. It's much wetter here in Oklahoma, but no one's on you about collecting your rainwater to use on your property like they are in Boulder.

Len B

10 Year Member!
I built the insulated base for the new house today. It measures 4x6 feet. This is a pic of whats going to be the bottom of the base. I sealed the seam where the two pieces of wood met using spray glue 3 inch duct tape with 4 inch reinforced foil tape on top.Picture 001.jpgI added 2 runners to keep the house off the groundPicture 002.jpgFlipped it over and added the floor supports Picture 003.jpgInsulated with urethanePicture 009.jpgPut a piece of 6 mil poly down to work as a vapor barrierPicture 012.jpgThen the plywoodPicture 013.jpg

Len B

10 Year Member!
The house is coming along slowly. Yesterday and today I worked on the top. I framed it out yesterday and today I insulated it. I started with air cell armaflex type insulation. Taped the joints together with the red tapePicture 005.jpgThen a layer of styrofoamPicture 006.jpgand another layer of styrofoam alternating the joints.Picture 007.jpgThen 6 mil polyPicture 009.jpgPut the luan on and a couple screws to hold in placePicture 010.jpgwhile coating it with linseed oilPicture 011.jpgAfter about an hour I unscrewed it, flipped it over and coated the other side then screwed it down permanently.