Lump on back of tortoise's neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCB

5 Year Member
My lovely hatchling sulcata, Roshi has a small lump dead center on the back of his neck. I was wondering if anyone knew what the problem is. I'm currently between jobs, but will still go the vet if necessary for the little guy. Any help at all would be awesome!!!

Thank you,
Chris

Attachments

• 20121012_192603.jpg
    20121012_192603.jpg
    738.6 KB · Views: 168

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Chris:

That almost looks like a little styrofoam bead that is just stuck in the fold of skin on the neck. Have you tried to extend the head all the way to straighten out that fold and see where the bump is?

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Yep. I agree. I would soak him and while he is in there (if he stretches out his neck like mine do) pour a little hit of water over it and see if you can get it out. :)

MrCB

5 Year Member
LuckysGirl007 said:
Yep. I agree. I would soak him and while he is in there (if he stretches out his neck like mine do) pour a little hit of water over it and see if you can get it out. :)

Thanks for all of your responses! I tried it appears however to be part of his skin as its a hard lump. It may be some kind of sore. I do not believe it is a bead since it has his skin's texture/appearance around it. Could it be a sore or something from his shell? Or do hatchling tortoises ever have some illness that can cause a hard pimple-ish bumps?

Thank you,
Chris

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is not something I've seen before, however, because I'm not squeamish, and not one to leave something like that alone, I would lance it. You might rather have a vet take care of it.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I have often seen lumps on turtles necks. I have not seen them on torts before. They are often sebaceous cysts, and can be lanced. They are not painful to the animal. Humans can also have them. A hard subcutaneous lump filled with a cyst sac and overactive sebum cells. They can get quite large if left alone. If you are squeamish then let the vet lance it.

Status
Not open for further replies.