lump on sulcata hatchlings neck

gorgane

I bought my baby sulcata from myturtlestore and I've had nothing but concern for his health since I received him. When I got him his skin was peeling and looked dry and no more than 3 hours his eyes started to water and nose had clear fluid coming out of it. I messaged myturtlestore and they told me to raise the temp in my enclosure which I've always kept at 90-100 during thed day and 75-85 at night. At first he was getting acclamated and seemed to bed doing fine I soaked him 3-4 times a week fed him a good variety off fresh food and now his eyes get dried shut I think due to mucous and nose still drips and now he's been getting sores or cysts they look likea 'll over his skin and now hes gotten this lump on his neck. I would like some advice and help from someone who has more experience. Thank you for reading my long story

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I bought my baby sulcata from myturtlestore and I've had nothing but concern for his health since I received him. When I got him his skin was peeling and looked dry and no more than 3 hours his eyes started to water and nose had clear fluid coming out of it. I messaged myturtlestore and they told me to raise the temp in my enclosure which I've always kept at 90-100 during thed day and 75-85 at night. At first he was getting acclamated and seemed to bed doing fine I soaked him 3-4 times a week fed him a good variety off fresh food and now his eyes get dried shut I think due to mucous and nose still drips and now he's been getting sores or cysts they look likea 'll over his skin and now hes gotten this lump on his neck. I would like some advice and help from someone who has more experience. Thank you for reading my long story
Can you post pics of it - that will greatly help members see what is going on.
Someone with sick tort experience will be along soon but meanwhile have you tried using the search facility to see what comes up?
Personally I would take him to a vet preferably one experienced with torts as this sounds like it could be an RI. Is his breathing OK? The lump could be an abscess and of so it will also need vet care.
What bulbs are you using? Coiled or long thin loop cfl type bulbs can affect/damage eyes. I do hope it is nothing too serious.

Last edited:

gorgane

Can you post pics of it - that will greatly help members see what is going on.
Someone with sick tort experience will be along soon but meanwhile have you tried using the search facility to see what comes up?
Personally I would take him to a vet preferably one experienced with torts as this sounds like it could be an RI. Is his breathing OK?
What bulbs are you using? Coiled or long thin loop cfl type bulbs can affect/damage eyes. I do hope it is nothing too serious.
i have looked up herp vets in my area and called the bulbs i used look like regular light bulbs i have a uvb and a uva zoo med bulbs and i also have a ceramic heat emitter i thought it was dust getting in his eyes at first but i use zoo med repti bark and his breathing seems alright he hasnt been opening hid mouth gasping for air but he does pump and legs and does occasionally make clicking or squeaking noises here and there

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Pictures of your tort will be a great help to experienced people like @yvonne @maggie3fan or @Tom. I have tagged them so that if any of them are about they may be able to help.
@deadheadvet may have seen this before too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is no way for us to diagnose all of that here. Sounds like you might have multiple problems.

Be very careful not to let any other reptile get any kind of exposure to this one. Might be contagious.