Lumpy shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

samamamia

5 Year Member
Hi, My name is Sam and I have 2 Testudo graeca spur thighed female tortoises (Sparky and Squirt) who are 4 years old. They have a large outdoor run which has lots of weeds from the T lady seed mix. They have never been fed salad vegetables etc. In the last year Sparky has gone from being the tiniest out of 4 tortoises all the same age (my friend bought 2 tortoises from the same batch) to being the largest. I have noticed that over the last couple of months Sparky's shell is looking a bit lumpy. Should I be worried about this or restrict the amount of food she has? Obviously it is difficult to do that when they are helping themselves but the weeds have practically been demolished over the summer so I am having to throw in a few weeds now. As it is raining today, I have brought them inside and they are under the lamp.
Any advice would be gratefully accepted
Sam

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Sam!!

I'm not sure with the Greeks, but with sulcatas and leopards the lumpy shell develops because the babies weren't kept humid/moist enough. Be sure that tortoises are well-hydrated. Its not true that they don't need water.

samamamia

5 Year Member
IMG_1023.JPGHi,
Thanks for the welcome.
The tortoises always have a dish of water in their outdoor run. They are still inside today as the weather is so horrible so they had a nice warm bath this morning. I always give them warm water when they are inside. I don't think the shell looks too bad but I want to catch it before it does get bad if I'm doing something wrong. Here's a pic. Not used to doing this though so I hope the picture uploads okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.