Made the final decision about Bert

Status
Not open for further replies.

sara

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wyoming
Well, I decided i cannot take Bert with me to alaska. But As much as it hurts, I also know its the right decision.
I just cant risk his health. We would be driving in the middle of winter. Depending on weather it may take as long as 5-7 days to get there. I would feel bad for him. He needs to be someplace warm and sunny. And to be able to be outside . And he is gonna grow, alot. he needs the space. maybe find a nice girl friend one day!
But i want to thank everyone for the great support and advice. You were so helpful. I found a reptile rescue for him. They are familiar with red foots and can give him the proper care untill a home is found.
I wont let him go to the neighbors kid cause i dont think they can handle his needs. so, i figure the rescue is best.
We still have a few weeks together, so i am going to enjoy him much as i can. Torts are great creatures, I will get another once we get someplace more suitable and wont move ever agian!
But i wanted to agian say thank you for the great support and advice. I will keep this forum on my favorites so i can keep up on things!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
bummer I was hoping he would be able to make the trip.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
dmmj said:
bummer I was hoping he would be able to make the trip.
So was I. But thats a very long way to go. if it was in the summer, then maybe i would do it. But i have to think of whats best for him. on a trip that long and cold I think it would be pushing it. what do i do with him when we stop for lunch and stuff. and what if the car has problems. There is just too much to worry about. I dont want to stress him out or risk getting him sick. I just cant be selfish and think of only what i want for me. I want him to go someplace warm and sunny and to someone who will appreciate and take care of him. Maybe one day i will see him on the forum! But it still bums me out.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
so timing is an issue could you have someone watch him then either ship him up or pick him up when it is warmer? What state are you in if you don't mind me asking?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You could have fixed something like a backpack or big flat bottomed purse to use as a carrier to take him inside with you during lunch stops and nobody would know you had an animal in it. ;). Also those heat packs work well, especially if you would have used papers or even fix the box much like shipping a tortoise so it was well insulated. Then at night (in motel or whereever you stopped), took him out and put him under heat lamps or light. But I do understand your concerns. Good luck with the move.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I'm glad that you found a rescue to take Bert. I think that is the way to go. Good luck with your trip. :)

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
Im So sorry you have to give him up. Hopefully you may get reunited one day. you should see if the rescue will allow you info on the new owners so you can get pics and stuff.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
dmmj said:
so timing is an issue could you have someone watch him then either ship him up or pick him up when it is warmer? What state are you in if you don't mind me asking?
well, at the moment I am still in Wyoming. But after a couple years in Alaska, We are hopeing to get back to California where i am originally from.

Jacqui said:
You could have fixed something like a backpack or big flat bottomed purse to use as a carrier to take him inside with you during lunch stops and nobody would know you had an animal in it. ;). Also those heat packs work well, especially if you would have used papers or even fix the box much like shipping a tortoise so it was well insulated. Then at night (in motel or whereever you stopped), took him out and put him under heat lamps or light. But I do understand your concerns. Good luck with the move.
that was my original plan. I had it all figured out, even had plans drawn up for his travel box. was going to use a blanket that plugs into the car and have heat packs just in case. But i just have worries about stressing him. and if he were to get sick, there would be nothing i could do. :(.

Sweetness_bug said:
Im So sorry you have to give him up. Hopefully you may get reunited one day. you should see if the rescue will allow you info on the new owners so you can get pics and stuff.
Ya, I thought of that. But sometimes people can be kinda funny. I understand though. Hopefully who ever gets him will become very attached. In that case , they may not want me to show up. and thats o.k. Its just important he is taken care of. I dont want him to be another sad story.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I am glad you made a decision that feels right for you. For what it is worth, I think you made the right choice, even though it was a tough one.

Good luck!

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
Madkins007 said:
I am glad you made a decision that feels right for you. For what it is worth, I think you made the right choice, even though it was a tough one.

Good luck!
Thank you, I needed to hear that:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.