Maggie3fan sometimes has thoughts...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
I have had numerous different species of tortoises...thanks to my sister I never have had a problem with getting or keeping tortoises. I have only ever paid for 1...a female Hermanni I named Queenie because she was so beautiful and elegant. Anyhow...after being involved in rescue and rehab for almost 20 yrs I have settled down with just a few chelonia, that are pets. I think keeping a tort or 2 is very different then Tom for instance, who has a creep of Sulcata and I experienced them coming at us like a herd of cattle...I think. My sister still keeps numerous tortoises so I group her in with Tom...but keeping a few torts is different then keeping a creep. That's my point. So we experience tortoises different then they do...
I really believe Sulcata are like Pit Bulls...no matter what is done to them...they still come right back...my Knobby is a rescue. He was found walking around in downtown Portland Oregon...brought here to Corvallis and taken to the local wildlife rescue who called me and now I've had Knobs for almost 3 years. He was panicked about people, petrified of water...afraid of being held...and was just plain freaked out. He's badly pyramided but seems to have escaped MBD...he was about 5 lbs when I got him...and is 35 lbs now. All of his new growth
is smooth...
100_3974.JPG
now that I've had him for almost 3 years, his personality is starting to come out...and man oh man...is this guy a tortoise! One day when i was out scoping the yard so I could make new bigger pens, I had Knobby with me in a part of the yard not for tortoises...so Knobs grazed for a bit then he went over to the bird bath...the heavy bird bath...in a corner with just mud...so for whatever reason Knobby...had to seen what was around this thing.
.100_3790.JPG100_3787.JPG100_3793.JPG100_3794.JPG

so my thoughts being...keepers who have large groups of tortoises care for then differently then us pet keepers do and we see our tortoises differently as well...oh and Sulcata are kinda like Pits...hey moderator...would ya mind deleting the extra pix? They wouldn't go for me...thx

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Keeping one or two is definitely a different experience than keeping 20 or 30, or 100. Much more personal attention can be given with fewer. I still thoroughly enjoy all of mine, but it ins't possible to spend hours a day with each individual.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Keeping one or two is definitely a different experience than keeping 20 or 30, or 100. Much more personal attention can be given with fewer. I still thoroughly enjoy all of mine, but it ins't possible to spend hours a day with each individual.
In my memory...I see a long row of one room zoo type cages...with house cats in them...and all the sudden around the corner come this gigantic freakin herd of Sulcata.(30-40) I could just shoot myself for not taking pictures...do you think my memory is real @Tom?

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
I have had numerous different species of tortoises...thanks to my sister I never have had a problem with getting or keeping tortoises. I have only ever paid for 1...a female Hermanni I named Queenie because she was so beautiful and elegant. Anyhow...after being involved in rescue and rehab for almost 20 yrs I have settled down with just a few chelonia, that are pets. I think keeping a tort or 2 is very different then Tom for instance, who has a creep of Sulcata and I experienced them coming at us like a herd of cattle...I think. My sister still keeps numerous tortoises so I group her in with Tom...but keeping a few torts is different then keeping a creep. That's my point. So we experience tortoises different then they do...
I really believe Sulcata are like Pit Bulls...no matter what is done to them...they still come right back...my Knobby is a rescue. He was found walking around in downtown Portland Oregon...brought here to Corvallis and taken to the local wildlife rescue who called me and now I've had Knobs for almost 3 years. He was panicked about people, petrified of water...afraid of being held...and was just plain freaked out. He's badly pyramided but seems to have escaped MBD...he was about 5 lbs when I got him...and is 35 lbs now. All of his new growth
is smooth...
View attachment 296584
now that I've had him for almost 3 years, his personality is starting to come out...and man oh man...is this guy a tortoise! One day when i was out scoping the yard so I could make new bigger pens, I had Knobby with me in a part of the yard not for tortoises...so Knobs grazed for a bit then he went over to the bird bath...the heavy bird bath...in a corner with just mud...so for whatever reason Knobby...had to seen what was around this thing.
.View attachment 296586View attachment 296584View attachment 296585View attachment 296586View attachment 296587View attachment 296590

.View attachment 296586View attachment 296587
so my thoughts being...keepers who have large groups of tortoises care for then differently then us pet keepers do and we see our tortoises differently as well...oh and Sulcata are kinda like Pits...hey moderator...would ya mind deleting the extra pix? They wouldn't go for me...thx
Yes your right! We have more time and see things differently.

I grew up on a horse farm, my parents took care of 70+ horses. They didn't have time to fuss around, work needs to be done etc.
I have 1 horse now and it's very different. You see things differently.
What a cute face, tort faces are one of the best?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yes your right! We have more time and see things differently.

I grew up on a horse farm, my parents took care of 70+ horses. They didn't have time to fuss around, work needs to be done etc.
I have 1 horse now and it's very different. You see things differently.
What a cute face, tort faces are one of the best?
Thanks...but THIS is a cute face

Attachments

• 1591453583448.png
    1591453583448.png
    438.7 KB · Views: 5

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In my memory...I see a long row of one room zoo type cages...with house cats in them...and all the sudden around the corner come this gigantic freakin herd of Sulcata.(30-40) I could just shoot myself for not taking pictures...do you think my memory is real @Tom?
I think you are mixing memories. I've never had more than 6 adult sulcatas in one enclosure.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I think you are mixing memories. I've never had more than 6 adult sulcatas in one enclosure.
It was a really big area without grass yet...we talked about it...but ya know I do have so many memories added to TBI's it's all a spaghetti mess in my head...lol