maine coon won’t cooperate

atxsophie

Location (City and/or State)
round rock, tx
Hi, my name’s Sophie, I’m new to the forum. As of now, I have a maine coon cat named Maxi, and two red foot tortoises. Maxi is all white, huge maybe about 15-17 lbs, with gorgeous blue eyes. He’s very sweet and lovable.

About a year and a half ago, we got two new kittens. At first we divided not to introduce them to Maxi because we wanted them to get used to their surroundings first. But once we did, things got out of hand. Maxi freaked out and tried to attack them. We tried everything to get them to get along but nothing worked. Eventually we had to give the kittens back.

Recently, our family made the decision to add a puppy to the family. We have had some dogs around the house (big dogs) before. Maxi was a little nervous at first, but things got better. Now they’re not exactly best friends but they’re calm around each other. But before we go out and adopt, does anyone have any advice or tips on ways to get Maxi to be more calm and accept a new dog?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi, Sophie and a VERY WARM (!!!) howdy from Texas. Really „warm”! Been triple digits over the past few days[emoji295]️If you post a short intro in the „WELCOME” section, more people will be alerted of your post and you’ll start getting more replies. It is really great to have you here. It’s a great community. Over the past 3 yrs I have learned so much from the folks here, made so many new friends. I’ll be looking forward to your posts, and pictures of your pets. Once again: welcome to TFO[emoji217]

LoonyLovegood

Colorado Springs, CO
I love maine coons! Could you post a photo of Maxi? I've always gotten my cats used to another addition by letting them sniff a blanket with the others scent on it, and letting them investigate while the new one is in a crate first.