Make me feel better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Grand Forks
Hey guy's!!! My little girl hasn't ate at all for me and I've had her since Saturday Morning idk what she ate when she was at Petco considering all they had there was The Trix cereal looking stuff for them and she burrows 24/7 ... She was active yesterday for about an hour she walked to her heat lamp and went back to burrow... The temps are 103 underneath the basking light and the cool end is 75 the lights are on 14 hours a day and at night it gets down to 67. she has a hide to go in but ignores it... just burrows and burrows and burrows... She looks healthy, eyes are good mouth is good but idk... I have been soaking her every day for about 20 mins ... but no urates and no poo so a little worried... I only have picked her up to soak her. I have offered her Collards, Romaine, Endive and some treats but nothing at all... I know tortoises take there time but I am getting a little worried... Hope she eats soon...

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
what kind of tort do you have? sometimes it takes them a little time to acclimate to their new home before eating regularly again. Maybe try slowly introducing new food mixed with the stuff she is used to eating.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
All sounds pretty normal for a newly acquired Russian tortoise that has only been in it's current environment for 4 or 5 days! I would not be too concerned. The more you disturb the tortoise at this stage the longer it's going to take to become secure in it's new environment which means the longer it will take to begin eating on a regular basis and the more it will stay buried.

Burrowing is what Russian tortoises do. It's normal.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Agreed! I went through this recently too! Don't soak everyday -- I do mine twice a week or three times. It took mine five days to come out and eat-- and wow did he eat :)!! Just keep putting the fresh greens in the same place. Be sure you wash them well. I did include the stuff from Petco too, but he now eats around it. Hang in there and keep the water and food fresh. You may show her the food when it's still wet when you place it in her home--- then let her see and sniff it and hide in the cedar chips again... Soon you will see her eating it :)! I showed it to Hemi everyday but let him hide. Finally he turned around and ate!!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yep, normal. I think the tort must be so happy to finally be able to burrow.
She doesn't have to eat right away, just stay warm enough (your temps sound great) and hydrated.
Sounds like you are doing everything correctly. It is probably a good idea to soak as you are doing, more at first, as they are often dehydrated in Pet Stores, but Diane K is right, maintenance is 1-2-3x per week. I have mine inside for the winter and they only get soaked once per week and seem to do fine. I do mist their greens too.
You are keeping handling to a minimum.
Hang in there!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
lift her out, place in front of her food.. and feed her something that smells good.. and has color.. small pices of strawberry, grated carrot.. to entice her.. and back away and watch. I would do that a few times a day. She should get the hint soon enough.
Good luck.
Hope you feel better.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
gopherhockey03 said:
I would love to show her the food but she's literally constantly burrowed... So stressful

It is- but that's why she needs direction from you. So after she soaks she is warmed up correct? When her eyes are open and she's warmed up place her in front of her food :) If you were scared and borrowed you wouldn't know where your food is either. Be gentle and keep showing her. My little man was super shy for weeks- and now he's use to where the food will be and actively eats. You can do it :)!!

Beeliz

5 Year Member
Montreal,Quebec
my little box turtle did the same for the 1st couple days,,I left him lone completely so he felt secure in his burrow/enclosure. Then after a while he would poke around a bit but small steps. \\\\\\\Sounds very normal :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Don't forget that your tortoise is a wild caught and might be decades old. Every year for this tortoises entire life it has buried itself underground at this time of year to escape freezing cold temp in its natural range. Just because she's in a warm "sunny" enclosure in your house, does not mean her survival instincts are not "talking" to her. Her body thinks it hibernation time. If you think that she's healthy and her weight is good, you might even consider a brief "hibernation" or cool period. Normally this is not advised for a brand new tortoise that you just got, but sometimes our torts have other ideas.

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
East Grand Forks
Yes I understand, you guys have been in this situation before you know how it feels!!! Its stressful!!! But you guys think I should unburrow her and show her food? Or just leave her alone

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
My male, Sherman, likes to stay under cover. I take him out every other day to make sure he's ok. He soaks, eats and goes right back undercover.

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
East Grand Forks
Ya I'll try to show her food but she just hides in her shell till I leave her alone... Hopefully she warms up to me soon =( Just hope i'm not doing anything wrong...

Do you guys wanna see some pictures? Just to make sure she passes your guys eye tests?

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
I just woke Herbie and Hemi up gently. I cleaned out their homes and let them see each other and fed them after they returned to their homes... I did hold Hemi quietly when I got him. After a week I couldn't resist just holding him in a dark towel :) he and I are close now...

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
East Grand Forks
Yes! I got Boris Two days before Shelly... Boris walks around only burrows at night ALWAYS eats!!!! Loves soaks... And loves falling asleep near the basking light... eats out of my hand already I love him!!! But then I look into shellys enclosure and see untouched food and don't see her at all... I have two completely different Torts!!!

jhigh81

5 Year Member
Mine took 3 weeks to eat when I first got him!! And now he eats a ton. Just let him get used to the enclosure and new enviroment.

Oh...and I have 3 Basset Hounds :)

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
East Grand Forks
Alright it's been SEVEN days and still hasn't ate ANYTHING... It's starting to get really stressful... Is there such thing as force feeding? Lights on 14 hours, 103 under basking light cool end 75... I have been putting her in front of her food but nothing. She does walk around and explore now which is good but still not eating. But is this still normal not eating for 7 days? Once again MAKE ME FEEL BETTER!!!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Is she pooping and peeing yet? When you soak her? Is she very active otherwise? Seems to move about normally?
Has she had a fecal test?
If everything else seems normal, try drizzling a tiny bit of apple juice or smashed strawberry or grated carrot (as Laura suggested) over some greens to tempt her. Just a speck. Fruits are usually a 'no no' but...anything to get started. You can always cut this back and stop when her appetite improves. Have you tried this?
If this does not work, or if she is lethargic, or has not peed or pooped, then take her to a reptile vet.

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
East Grand Forks
Yes she walks around finally and seems fine just won't eat! Haven't done a Fecal yet. And the nearest Vet that does Torts is three hours away ( I'll be going there in a couple weeks so doing a check up then). I've tried Tomatoes, Blue berries, Carrots, Cantelope and still nothing! How long can they go w/out food?

Status
Not open for further replies.